Thursday 22 January 2009

Oat and Vanilla Shortbread Cookies

I definitely have my baking mojo back after being unwell and I can promise you I will be making up for lost time. Last night I actually picked up a cookbook for the first time in weeks and it felt good coming across recipes I’ve had book-marked. Of course I always want to bake and cook everything after a spell of absence in my kitchen but I finally decided on these Oat and Vanilla Shortbread Cookies from Rachel Allen’s book Bake. I love baking cookies and I don’t bake them as often as I should, I know my boys would welcome this thought big time. These roll and slice cookies filled my kitchen with that gorgeous buttery aroma while they baked, which had my taste buds and tummy going crazy. I have to warn you though, these soft, buttery, golden melt-in your mouth cookies are additive!! I will definitely be making them again to enjoy with a cup of tea.


Oat and Vanilla Shortbread Cookies

Makes about 40

Ingredients
200g (7oz) butter, softened
100g (3 ½ oz) icing sugar, sifted
1 tsp vanilla extract
200g plain flour
½ tsp baking powder
100g (3 ½ oz) porridge oats

Preheat the oven to 180oC (350oF), Gas mark 4. Cream the butter in a large bowl or in an electric food mixer until soft. Add the icing sugar and vanilla extract and beat until the mixture is light and fluffy. Sift in the flour and baking powder, then stir in the oats and bring the mixture together to form a dough. Using a sheet of cling film to cover the dough, roll it into a log about 30cm (12in) long and 6cm (2 ½in) in diameter. Allow to chill in the fridge, covered in the cling film, for about 30 minutes until firm. Remove the cling film; slice the log into rounds about 5mm (¼in) thick and place slightly apart on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes or until light golden brown and dry to the touch. Carefully transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool.

11 comments:

Finla said...

I am pleased to hear you have you mojo for baking back.
Shortbread cookies look yumm.
It is healthy too.

Anonymous said...

These look lovely - I've printed out the recipe to try!

Beth (jamandcream) said...

I was looking through bake again last night and put a post-it by this one. Will def have to give them a try

Reeni said...

So happy to have you back and feeling so much better!! Your cookies are so delicious! I love your cookie stack, I could eat them all!!

arista said...

They sound lovely, and the photo of the stack of cookies on the spotty plate is really pretty!

Anna's kitchen table said...

I need to find my copy of 'bake', it's in one of the packing boxes, everyone seems to love this book.
xx

Nickki said...

I'm so glad to hear you are feeling better Maria, there are some very nasty bugs going around and unfortunately I also had a particular nasty one over christmas/new year that put paid to many plans I had made! These biscuits look delish and I can imagine the aroma coming from the oven while they were baking...Bake is such a great book! The white choc/orange cookies are lovely, I made some for my mother-in-law :)

JillyB said...

I'm so glad to hear that you're feeling much better and that your mojo is back. Those biscuits look lovely and I know they'd go down well here.

Kelly-Jane said...

Glad to hear you are feeling better (())

They look gorgeous Maria! Mmmmmmmm.

Maria♥ said...

Thanks everyone, its good to be back and its lovely to see all your kind comments as always.

Maria
x

Anonymous said...

Definately butter.... I found your blog on a search for the oat shortbread cookies, I have made these cookies before after borrowing Bake from the library, they are delicious, and am very thankful that you have published the ingredients. Everybody, you have to tatse them and be warned, they are very addictive!
Claire, Stourport-On-Severn, great blog