Wednesday 5 August 2009

Raspberry and Peach Cake

It’s now raspberry season and I love making use of the current season’s fruits especially in bakes or desserts. I’ve had my eye on this recipe for a while now and it comes courtesy of a wonderful book that I bought last year called Cakes & Bakes, a must have! The recipes in the book are all easy to make and this cake was without doubt quick and easy, which is great when you’re short for time. I’d never tried the raspberry and peach combo and the flavours together are simply beautiful and work wonderfully. This is the perfect summer cake with the sweet peaches and fresh raspberries providing a delightfully fruity combination in this light and fluffy cake, topped with a coating of apricot glaze!



Raspberry and Peach Cake

Ingredients
200g unsalted butter, melted
250g self-raising flour, sifted
100g golden caster sugar
4 medium eggs, beaten
125g raspberries
2 large almost-ripe peaches or nectarines, halved, stoned and sliced
4 tbsp apricot jam
Juice of ½ lemon

Preheat the oven to 190oC (170oC fan oven) mark 5. Grease a 8in springform cake tin and baseline with baking parchment.

Put the flour and sugar into a large bowl. Make a well in the centre, and add the melted butter and the eggs. Mix well.

Spread half the mixture over the base of the cake tin and add half the raspberries and sliced peaches. Spoon on the remaining cake mixture, smooth over, then add the remaining raspberries and peaches, pressing them down into the mixture slightly.

Bake for 1-1 ¼ hours until risen and golden, and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Remove from the oven and leave in the tin to cool for 10 minutes.

Warm the jam and lemon juice together in a small pan and brush over the cake to glaze.


22 comments:

Snooky doodle said...

oh this cake looks so moist and good! I ve never had such flavour combination but it must be awesome!

natalia said...

This must be great ! I'll look for raspberries tomorrow !

Lucie said...

This looks delish Maria, must give that one a go (I say that every time you add a recipe!)

Best wishes
Lucie x
http://cookingatmarystow.blogspot.com/

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

I love the fruit and the shiny top. Yummy!

MaryBeth said...

This cake looks so darn good, very light and moist.I would love a big hunk with some milk!!!

Reeni said...

This looks so tender and delicious, Maria!

Heather said...

What a gorgeous combination - I must make this before the end of Summer. We also have raspberries galore over here.

Marie Rayner said...

Ohh, I have the same book! Clearly I need to give it another peruse. Your cake looks fabulous!

Unknown said...

Maria, its Kirsty at the Reception of 12 Arthur Street where Adrian sometimes works. Sorry to leave a comment on here but I couldnt find where else to write to you. Adrian told me this morning what was happening with Ollie and possibly your other two cats. Being the owner of 3 cats myself its just made me want to cry all day. I even remember when you got him as a kitten. I am really really sorry to hear he is poorly , its just so sad and unfair. They're such innocent littl things. Anyway, just wanted to say thanks again for all the cakes you've sent us in the past and my love and thoughts are with you and Ollie and the other pair. Give him a big hug from me. Lots of love from Kirsty xx

Sasha said...

Looks yummy! Perfect for tea-time : ]

Maria♥ said...

Thanks everyone for the lovely comments!

Hi Kirsty
Thanks so much for your lovely message. It's so heart-warming knowing we are in your thoughts. I woke up feeling sad and teary this morning about Ollie, it's hard watching my baby detoriate and lately his not doing as good. It really is unfair and I'm totally heartbroken for him! Thanks again for the lovely message and glad Adrian has been sharing my bakes ;o)

Lots of love
Maria
xx

Anne said...

The cake looks lovely and glossy outside, and also so pretty inside too with the fruit chunks :)

The Girl said...

Never heard of raspberry and peach together but now I have it makes perfect sense! Sounds gorgeous!

Caroline said...

I love the combo of raspberries and peaches - perfect for this time of year. Love how shiny and attractive the cake is too!!!

Pity said...

maria, que ricoooo! wonderful combination of flavours! my mouth is watering...pobrecito tu gatito.

un beso,

pity

Coby said...

Love the glossy look given by the glaze, and it just looks so pretty inside! Maria, that cake has 'summer' written all over it - even from way over hear in the heart of winter:)

Nic said...

What a great cake for summer, looks wonderful!

Anna said...

What a gorgeous combination of fruit! Just what I love about summer.

apparentlyjessy said...

Oooh I found your blog via Mermaid Sweets, and I love the look of all your scrumptious cakes! This one in particular, I love the sound of raspberries and peach together!
Your cat Ollie is SO cute too!
I am tickled to find a new blog to follow!

♥Rosie♥ said...

This cake looks so moist and tender Maria!

Maria I've also just read Kirsty comment. Oh mate I am so sorry to hear this!! You know where I am if you need a chat anytime. I know how you must be feeling...

Hugs Rosie x

Darren & Ali said...

Just baked this cake. It tastes brilliant! Maybe needs a little more sweetness, but we really enjoyed it. Gorgeous glaze, too! Thanks!

JllCap said...

This cake is so amazing! It reminds me of a shortcake for the texture and sweetness. With the fruit and glaze it's a perfect breakfast cake. For those of you who would like a conversion from the grams and degrees Celsius here's what I used:

*3/4 & 1/8 c. butter
*2 1/8 c. + 1 Tbsp. cake flour (add 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder & 1/2 tsp. salt per cup to make it self-raising. Don't worry about adj. for the 1/8 cup & Tbsp.).
*1/4 & 1/8 c. + 1 Tbsp. sugar (I used reg. granulated and put it in the blender).
*Approx. 4 1/2 oz. (4.409 to be exact) or 1 c. Raspberries.
Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit (374) for approx. 45 min. - however I am at 9,000 ft. above sea level. Regardless, I would check to see if done after that amount of time.

Thanx Maria!