Tuesday 1 September 2009

Jammy Doughnut Muffins~Sweet and Simple Bake!


I present this month's offering for Sweet and Simple Bakes. I've not done much baking in the last couple of weeks but I didn't want to let down Rosie and all the hard work she's done over the last couple of month's, plus getting back in the kitchen was a pleasant distraction. My family definitely appreciated this return to baking and these muffins were a big hit. They are super easy to make and in the words of my family, "these are the best kind of doughnuts in muffin form"! I will certainly be making them again. Please pop over to Sweet and Simple Bakes to view more yummy entries!

Jammy Doughnut Muffins

Makes 12

Ingredients
275g (10 oz) plain (all-purpose) flour
3 tsp baking powder
Pinch salt
100g (4 oz) caster (superfine) sugar
2 eggs
200ml (7 fl oz) milk
75g (3 oz) unsalted (sweet) butter, melted and cooled
1 tsp vanilla extract
12 tsp strawberry or raspberry jam

For The Toping
100g (4 oz) unsalted (sweet) butter
150g (5 oz) granulated sugar
½ tsp ground cinnamon (optional)

You will need 12 hole muffin tin lined with paper cases.
Method
Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas mark 5.

Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a large mixing bowl, and stir through the sugar. In large jug, lightly beat the eggs then add the milk, cooled butter and vanilla extract and beat together. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients stir gently until just combined. (Do not over mix, its fine to have a few lumps in the mixture.) Spoon half the muffin mixture into the base of each paper case. Top each muffin with a teaspoon of jam. Now equally between each paper case, top with the remaining muffin mixture. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 – 20 minutes until well risen, golden and firm to the touch.

For The Topping: melt the butter in a saucepan over a low heat. Spread the granulated sugar in a wide, shallow bowl with the cinnamon if using. When the muffins are baked, leave in the tin for 5 minutes. Dip the tops of the muffins in the melted butter and then roll in the sugar. You can serve these muffins warm or cold; however, I do prefer to eat them whilst warm.

18 comments:

natalia said...

Dear Maria, your muffins are really great. I send you my love

George@CulinaryTravels said...

Maria those muffins look so good. Nice to see you back baking too. Hugs x

Kelly-Jane said...

Baking can be quite theraputic now and then. I still feel very sad for you all. Big Hugs.

Lovely muffins though.

Lucie said...

These look lovely Maria - they were so nice weren't they. Hope you and your family are doing ok after your sad loss.

Lucie x
http://cookingatmarystow.blogspot.com/

Rhyleysgranny said...

Your muffins look lovely Maria. :)

MaryBeth said...

OMG....these look perfect, I would love to share one of these with you.

Reeni said...

These look like lovely treats. I've missed you! *HUGS*

Maria said...

The sugar makes these so pretty!

Katiecakes said...

Another great pick :) So glad I finally got to bake along again this week!

Katie xox

The Girl said...

Muffins look great as always - definitely need to work on getting my creations to look photogenic!

lilmizlynn said...

Looks great, Maria! yummy!

Joanne said...

The photos look great. The recipe was a good pick. They tasted great warm.

lakegirl16 said...

Maria - Your blog is beautiful! Thanks again for Sweet and Simple Bake!!

Edith said...

Welcome back to the baking world. These were awesome isn't it?

Heather said...

How delicious! I am fantasizing about having yet another one for tea.

Bimmer said...

glad you are back in the kitchen! I sometimes feel that sitting beside my oven and looking at the action in it is therapeutic!

Anonymous said...

Hope the baking is truly theraputic. It works for me. If we love it, I guess we put out all into it and your jammy doughnut cupcakes certainly look delicious.

With all my fussing around with new fillings, I didn't get to try jelly. Now, is a good time for that.

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

Oh my goodness, these look amazing! I am making these soon! I overset my strawberry jam. I wonder if it would still work.