Tuesday 29 June 2010

Oreo Cheesecake

Hi everyone, hope this post finds you all well. I know it’s been a while since my last post but I decided to take some time out to spend with family and friends and keep busy. My sister and 16 month old nephew came over from Spain and stayed with us for a couple of weeks, which was really nice. We also celebrated my son’s 18th birthday last week; wow still can’t believe my baby is 18. Hubby and son marked the occasion with both of them getting tattoos of the family clan motto, followed by a great evening in our local pub with close friends and family. I haven’t done any baking for what feels like ages and to be honest baking in the heat wave we are having now is not the most enjoyable. I’m hoping to get some baking done and resume normal service; I know my boys have missed my baked goodies!

I was going to blog about this cheesecake before the sad news about Jules but could not bring myself to do so once the news broke. I still find it hard hearing myself say that our beloved Jules/Rosie has gone but I know she would have wanted me to continue doing what we both loved and enjoyed. I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who left such lovely comments for Jules, they were a great comfort to her family.

I baked this cheesecake whilst I had my parents visiting back in May and the recipe hails from Cook in Boots by Ravinder Bhogal. This is an exceedingly naughty cookie cheesecake with its dense, pillowy cake texture. This sinful cheesecake is best served in bed when absolute comfort eating is required!



Oreo Cheesecake

Serves 12

Ingredients
For the base
250g Oreo cookies
50g unsalted butter, melted

For the topping
500g cream cheese
1 tbsp vanilla extract
4 large eggs, separated
100g golden caster sugar (I upped the sugar to 200g as I felt it wasn't sweet enough)
200g soured cream
200g Oreo cookies

Preheat the oven to 170oC/150oC fan/325oF/gas 3. To make the base, put your Oreo cookies into a freezer bag (I used my food processor) and bash with a rolling pin until they are smashed into fine smithereens. Mix with the melted butter and then press down firmly into a 20cm/8in spingform cake tin. Bake for 15 minutes just to harden the crumb slightly and then leave to cool.

Now for that heavenly topping. Beat the cream cheese, vanilla extract, egg yolks and sugar together, add the soured cream and beat again. Crumble in the remaining Oreos and stir to make sure they are evenly spread through the mix. Whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks – this is what is going to give your cheesecake that wonderfully yielding texture. Carefully fold the egg whites into the cheese mixture, being careful not to knock out the air.

Pour the mixture over the cooled base and then bake for 1 hour 45 minutes. Don’t be tempted to open the oven door, not even for a peek – good things come to those who wait! Once the cooking time is up and the cake is golden brown, turn off the oven. Open the door and leave the cake to sit in the oven for a further hour.

Serve cool.

18 comments:

Nickki said...

Happy Birthday wishes to your son! Glad you had a good time. How lovely to see you back blogging. I still can't believe Rosie is gone either. But I'm sure she would be so happy to see you blogging too. And what a wonderful cheesecake! It looks amazing. I've been trying to picture what this recipe would look like and now I don't have to! xx

Unknown said...

How wonderful to have you back - I feared that you'd given up blogging altogether.

I for one have missed you and I'm so pleased to be visiting here again.

Jill x

Sweet Treats by Dani said...

that is one big cheesecake! looks delish :)

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

I'm glad you are back Maria and wow, what a way to return. Gorgeous!

ps I now want to see the clan emblem, but that's just cause i'm nosey!

Kate said...

Hi, even though im a new comer to your site, im still really glad to see you posting again :)
I also have the cook in boots book and have waited for an occasion (one where its not just me eating a whole cheesecake) to make this dessert.
It looks amazing and not at all what i expected from it. It looks quite cakey/spongy which i really love the look of!
i could just do with a slice of that right now!
x

busygran said...

Great to have you back. I am a frequent visitor. Been missing your postings. It's always a wonderful feeling to have time to spend with family.

Petit Filoux said...

Oh my. This looks lush and I love oreos!!! Don't tempt me please!!!!
So pleased to hear you're doing better - but I'm intrigued, what's this family motto of yours?

Beth (jamandcream) said...

Yummy! I can't wait to try this Maria.

Anonymous said...

Like Morellocherry, I'd need an occasion to bake this otherwise I'd eat the whole thing!!! It looks quite like a sponge- was it? I so want a piece of that right now!

The Girl said...

Hurray you're back!!!

And with a bang. That cheesecake looks RIDICULOUSLY good!!

Rhyleysgranny said...

Maria I am so glad to see you back at your blog. I was just about to email you when this popped up. The cheesecake looks and sounds fabulous. I think it definitely needs a go. Can you buy oreo cookies here? I take it you can but I haven't seen them.

Maria♥ said...

Thanks everyone for the lovely welcome back!

The cheesecake does have a cakey texture, very different from your normal cheesecake but definitely worth making.

The family clan motto is "Nunquam Non Paratus" which means "Never Unprepared". It is the Johnston clan motto. I will post pics of the tattoos in my next post ;o)

Maria
x

Maria♥ said...

Brenda, you can get Oreos in most major supermarkets, Sainsburys, Asda etc in the biscuit section. My local Poundland was selling them too!

Maria
x

Finla said...

Belated b'day wished to you son. My daughter will also get 18 end odf jully. I loved the idea of that father and son getting a clan tattoo.
I know how you feel i still can't believe Rosie ( for me she is always rosie) is still not with us. When i go through my preinted recipes i see her recipes which i have printed and made and it gives a sad feeling.

The Caked Crusader said...

Good to have you back! Your cheesecake looks amazing

Chele said...

Welcome back! And what a return - fab sounding cheesecake ;0)

Reeni said...

I'm glad you're back Maria! I missed you. This cheesecake looks absolutely delicious! Comfort food for sure. That's so cute about your son and husband getting tattoos. *HUGS*

Bimmer said...

Hi Maria,
great to see you back!
I made unbaked version of oreo cheesecake, but I didn't know there is a baked version! Yours look great, I'll have to try it someday.