Sunday 5 February 2012

Old Henry Bars

Have I said how much I am loving the Make Bake Love cookbook? This has to be one of my favourite books at the moment. I am targeting myself to bake something new from it every week. I baked these Old Henry Bars as a treat for over the weekend. They are a take on an American chocolate bar that was first introduced in 1920. These peanut butter and chocolate topped, crunchy, chewy oat bars were definitely a massive hit, with the last of them finished today. Another successful recipe from this delightful cookbook!


Old Henry Bars

Makes 16 bars

Ingredients
340g oats
225g light brown sugar
225g butter, melted
4 tbsp smooth peanut butter
150g milk or dark chocolate
a handful of dry roasted peanuts (optional)

Preheat the oven to 180oC. Line a 23cm x 33cm baking tin with parchment paper.

Mix the oats, sugar and melted butter together in a bowl. Spread onto the base of the tray and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven, and while still warm, spread the peanut butter over the oat base.

Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water. Spread the melted chocolate over the peanut butter. Stud with dry-roasted peanuts.

Allow to cool and set in the fridge, then cut into 16 bars.

18 comments:

Choclette said...

Yes, I can quite see how these might be a real winner. I've bookmarked so many recipes with peanut butter in them which I'm dying to make, but never quite manage to get around to it - now I've got another one :-S

Gloria Baker said...

OMG MarĂ­a these bars look scrumptions and amazing, always I wanna make some bars like these, bookmarked (other one) :)

Kelly-Jane said...

I got out my copy after reading your last post. These bars look delightful, they may have to be my first make - though it's difficult to decide! x

The Caked Crusader said...

I could eat these...lots of these...more than would be healthy!!!

Caroline said...

They look lovely. And what's not to like about a peanut butter chocolate combination, especially with oats added. Such a delicious combo!

Kate@whatkatebaked said...

Ohh, I haven't heard of this book before (*flies over to Amazon to check it out*) but with a bake like this one it sounds like a book I need to be owning!

Maggie said...

I've never used peanut butter in my baking. The bars look delicious Maria.

Nic said...

Not heard of the book but will look for it next time I'm at the shops, because these look rather wonderful!

Lauralovescakes said...

I keep seeing this book everywhere and really want it...but it was my new year's resolution to give up cookbook buying for the whole of 2012...could be tough!!

Great Old Henry Bars though!

Barbara said...

Would you believe I'd forgotten all about that candy bar??? I'm amazed at myself.
Your bars look fabulous, Maria!

Lisa said...

OMG, these look good. I had a massive cupcake failure yesterday because I can't get ingredients to "room temperature" in my kitchen in the winter - it's too cold (walls apparently made of waffles with no insulation!) - but melted butter and oats could be the answer to a cake monster's prayer. Thank you!!

Chele said...

Not sure if these look totally sinful or completely heavenly lol

Anonymous said...

hi Maria,

i lived in Surrey, Kew Gardens!
can you please let me know if you was a person how made the cape cakes for shoes shop in Kew Gardens village few years ago????

i had the most delightful cape cakes in the world
the lady in the shop gave me a card white with dots but i don't know where it is! so, maybe you are that person!?

love from Ana-Marija, Croatia

p.s. i will try your recipe for choc&pear muffins...

Maria♥ said...

Hi Ana-Marija

Unfortunately I am not that person but welcome to my blog. Hope you have fun baking some of the recipes on here.

Maria
x

Jacqueline said...

Thanks for sharing your recipes!
I found your blog via a crafting blog and really like it.
I made these bars yesterday and we really like them!

Maria♥ said...

Hi Jacqueline

Welcome to my blog and so glad you made the bars and liked them :)

Maria
x

Chronicles of Dolliedaydream said...

OOh those sound scrummy - my mouth is watering!

I am in LOVE with choc/peanut butter combo's at the moment and I have that book on my Amazon wish list!

Anonymous said...

Are they not meant to be called 'Oh Henry' bars rather than 'Old Henry'? That was the name of the US chocolate bar which also had caramel in. I am thinking of adapting your great recipe and adding in caramel. Awesome blog. Real pretty. Glad I stopped by.