Monday 26 March 2012

Revisited Chocolate Guinness Cake

Sorry for my lack of blogging, I've been unwell with a dreadful cold (3rd one this year and better be the last) and my hubby went on a back to back business trip to Buenos Aires and New York. So not much baking has been done, except for some cookies and muffins for my son and his friends. My hubby arrived back from New York early on St Patrick's Day so I was pleased to have an excuse to bake our favourite Chocolate Guinness Cake again. After 10 days of dining out everyday he was very happy to come home to my home-baked goodies.


Chocolate Guinness Cake

Ingredients
For the cake
250ml Guinness
250g unsalted butter, cut into pieces
75g cocoa
400g caster sugar
142ml sour cream
2 eggs
1 tbsp vanilla extract
275g plain flour
2 ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda

For the topping
300g Philadelphia cream cheese
150g icing sugar
125ml double or whipping cream
edible green glitter or shamrock sprinkles

Preheat the oven to gas mark 4/180˚C/fan oven 160˚C. Line a 23cm/9inch springform tin. Start by pouring the Guinness into a large, wide saucepan and add the butter; heat until the butter's melted, at which time you should whisk in the cocoa and sugar. Beat the sour cream with eggs and vanilla and then pour in the pan of brown, buttery, beer and finally whisk in the flour and bicarbonate of soda.

Pour the cake batter into the prepared cake tin and bake for 45 minutes to an hour. Leave to cool completely in the tin on a cooling rack, as it's quite a damp cake.

When the cake's cold sit it on a flat platter or cake stand and get on with the icing. Lightly whip the cream cheese until smooth, sieve over the icing sugar and then beat them both together. Add the cream and beat again until it makes a spreadable consistency.

Ice the top of the black cake so that it resembles the frothy top of the famous pint. Sprinkle with edible green glitter or shamrock sprinkles.

15 comments:

Finla said...

The cake looks super yumm and happy to hear you are feeling much better.

Nics Notebook said...

Mmmm I made this for a cake club - it was yummy! :)

paula said...

Mamma mìa! wow! looks delicious! Thank you so much for sharing all this recipes! So good for my next saturday's spring party. Thanks!

MaryBeth said...

This looks fabulous, it looks so rich and decadent.

Jenny said...

Mmmm I'm going to try this one! :)

Cats_cupcakes said...

Mmm this looks really good. Ive always wanted to try making a chocolate guinness cake but always a bit worried I wont like it. Your recipe has inspired me to give it a go!

Maggie said...

I've never made this cake but have read good things about it. I'm sure your husband was really happy you made this for his return home.

Lisa said...

On the "jamais deux sans trois" principle, you must have had all your colds by now!

Can you actually taste that there's Guinness in this cake? I've never made it because I absolutely hate Guinness!

yousef said...

Its Sooooo Yummy

I'm going to try this

The Caked Crusader said...

For someone who would never drink Guinness, I am a sucker for it in any cake. This looks lovely and I love how the topping looks like the head on a pint!

CJ - Food Stories said...

I found your site through another food blog and thought I would stop by to check yours out. I just subscribed to your blog feed and can’t wait to see what your next post will be!

Meatloaf said...

Delicious looking chocolate cake! It's make me hungry :) I can't wait to eat this :)

George@CulinaryTravels said...

Mmmmm Maria, this is my favourite cake. Ever. It's such a great bake and yours looks perfect.

Lesley said...

looks delicious best wishes Lesley x

Anonymous said...

Your Chocolate Guinness Cake is a damp, delicious and delightful bake!

I used melted chocolate; 75% dark\25% milk. Now then I omitted the cocoa powder completely.

Its so worth it...Everyone who devoured the cake did too!!!!!

Keep up the blogging - its a good one and thank you for sharing.
Narinder x