Wednesday 4 June 2008

Baked Pasta with Sausages, Tomatoes and Cheese

Pasta plays a big part in our weekly meals and I often love trying out and introducing new pasta dishes to our table. I had some lovely Italian sausages begging to be used in the fridge, so my loyal friend Google went into action to find me the perfect pasta recipe to incorporate those yummy sausages into. I came across this recipe on Myrecipes, where it immediately caught my eye and I knew this was the one! This pasta dish is simple and quick to make but its pure comfort food and just the kind we love. I added a splash of red wine and oregano for that added flavour and let it simmer for longer. If you love your pasta and are looking for an easy quick meal that your family will appreciate then look no further. My son and hubby really enjoyed and loved this dish and so did I. I will definitely be making this again and again!


Baked Pasta with Sausage, Tomato, and Cheese

Ingredients
1 (1-pound) package uncooked ziti (short tube-shaped pasta)

1 tbsp olive oil

1 pound hot turkey Italian sausage links (I used pork Italian Sausages)

1 cup chopped onion

2 garlic cloves, minced

1 tablespoon tomato paste

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

2 (14.5-ounce) cans petite-diced tomatoes, undrained

1/4 cup chopped fresh basil

Cooking spray (I used butter)

1 cup (4 ounces) shredded fresh mozzarella cheese

1 cup (4 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese


1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain the pasta, and set aside.
3. (I added 1 tbsp of olive oil to the pan.) Remove casings from sausage. Cook sausage, onion, and garlic in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until browned, stirring to crumble. Add the tomato paste, salt, pepper, and tomatoes, and bring to a boil.
4. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes (I simmered my sauce for 25 minutes), stirring occasionally.
5. Combine cooked pasta, sausage mixture, and basil. Place half of the pasta mixture in a 4-quart casserole coated with cooking spray or butter. Top with half of mozzarella and half of Parmesan. Repeat layers. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until bubbly.

17 comments:

Finla said...

I just had my dinner but after seeing that pasta dish i am hungry now.
Yummy delicious

Vicky said...

That looks like a really tasty and satisfying meal. You know how much pasta we eat, I must try your recipe out. I have some lovely Italian sausages that would work a treat!
Vicky xxx

Maria♥ said...

Hi Happy Cook
Thanks sweetie!

Hi Vicky
You must definitely try this recipe, you will love it!

Maria
x

Gigi said...

Now this would have Mr. Gigi Cakes mouth watering! He LOVES baked pasta! I am bookmarking this for dinner. Off to the market I go.

Emily said...

Oh, I love baked pasta dishes! This looks very very good.

Swati said...

The pasta looks awesome Maria..
It was really nice to see you after a long time :))

Nickki said...

Yum, that looks so tasty Maria. I must get some nice italian sausages and give this a try :)

Nic said...

Good old fashioned comfort food - but I would be happy to eat this at anytime!!

Maria♥ said...

Hi Gigi
I am sure Mr Gigi is going to love this, let me know if you made it. Thanks for dropping by!

Emiline thanks ;o)

Swati thanks for the lovely comment, it's good to be back!

Hi Nickki
Thanks sweetie and you must make this, your little ones will love this!

Hi Nicisme
This is definitely comfort food and we eat pasta anytime of the year.

Maria
x

Beth (jamandcream) said...

My hubby's three favourite foods! Like the idea of adding a splash of red wine, then you have an excuse to drink the rest of the bottle!!

Ruth Strong said...

I haven't had baked pasta in a looooooooooong time. This looks good!

Thinking About Food said...

yum Maria, going to try this for dinner tonight as I have some lovely sausages to use. My kids will LOVE this!

Maria♥ said...

Beth this is my hubby and son's kind of food too! We are big pasta lovers in our home. I agree it's always such a great idea to add a splash of wine..any excuse to drink the bottle!!

Ruth thanks and your hubby would love this too (if he loves his pasta)!

Linda let me know how it turned out and I am sure the kids will just love it!

Maria
x

Kelly-Jane said...

That looks so tempting, mmmmm.

Anonymous said...

I've got some Diavolo sausages in the fridge atm, now I know what I'm going to do with them. Thanks Maria :)

Nickki said...

Well I made this last night Maria and it was gorgeous! I used pork and chorizo sausages and they were perfect with the tomato sauce. I didn't get chance to take a picture I'm afraid, was in a real hurry to feed the kids and take them to the school disco.
I'm having the leftovers for lunch today. Thank you for another wonderful recipe Maria, definitely a keeper :)

Rosie said...

This pasta does look so tasty Maria - yum!! A must try!!

Rosie x