Wednesday 11 February 2009

Don’t say it with words – say it with Love Custard Cupcakes!!

Valentine’s Day is almost upon us, and what better way to show that special someone in your life how much you love them, than to bake them a batch of romantic cupcakes, cookies or a heart shaped cake! I love Valentine’s, and part of the celebration I love the most is the baking, it’s where the enjoyable part begins for me and my love for pink, hearts, glitter and anything girly comes into its own. I started my Valentine baking fun today with a batch of Love Custard Cupcakes; these tasty bundles of love are deliciously moist and the buttercream frosting is luscious, all the right ingredients you need to let your loved one know what they mean to you. Plus...women and cakes? They’re a partnership made in heaven – he can’t go wrong.


Love Custard Cupcakes

Makes 12

Ingredients
100g custard powder
200g softened butter
2 eggs
4 tbsp milk
140g caster sugar
100g self-raising flour

To ice the cupcakes:
75g butter, softened
550g sifted icing sugar
2 tbsp custard powder
4 tablespoons milk
A drop of red food colouring
Hundreds and thousands, to decorate


Heat the oven to 180oC/fan 160oC/gas 4 and place 12 paper cases into a muffin tray. Beat the custard powder with the butter, eggs and milk, then stir in the sugar and fold in the sifted flour. Spoon into the paper cases. Bake for about 20 minutes until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave to cool completely.

In a bowl beat butter until fluffy. Gradually add the custard powder and the icing sugar, beating well.
Slowly beat in half of the milk and beat. Add a drop of red food colouring and beat. Beat in additional milk, if needed, to make a spreading consistency. Decorate each cupcake and finish with a sprinkling of hundreds and thousands

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maria,
Anything 'buttercream' catches my eye!!! These cupcakes look amazing..your guys will never doubt your love for them!! Enjoy.
Patty
xo

Anne said...

They look fabulous Maria!

The colouring reminds me of the first cake I ever made (with a little help!) it was a plain sandwich affair but topped with bright pink glace icing and about 1/2 tub of sprinkles and jelly diamonds! ;-)

Finla said...

Beautiful and delicious. I have never made cake with custard powder. Wish i had a cupcake now.
I posted your cranberry cookies in my place.

Jules said...

I agree that the nice thing about Valentines is the baking! These cupcakes look delicious.

Maria said...

Pretty pink cupcakes!

AK Mom said...

What pretty cupcakes!!
I've never used custard powder before. I'm going to have to look for some so I can make these. :)

Beth (jamandcream) said...

I saw these in Good Food I think. Will have to try soon x

Coby said...

Aww the cupcakes match the flower:) So pretty and very romantic:D

Deeba PAB said...

Aw Maria...I love those. They look so pretty in pink!

Nickki said...

Wow - I am so going to make these! Perfect for Valentine's day :) x

Tina Butler said...

Those are so cute and perfect for Valentines Day. I love buttercream Ü

Anonymous said...

These cupcakes look fantastic, Maria!

BTW, I have nominated you for an award on my blog: http://www.aspoonfulofsugar.net/wp/2009/02/roasted-squash-dolcelatte-wrap/

Rosie said...

They really beautiful Maria and I can't agree more that baking something for a loved one for Valentine’s is very romantic. Your cupcakes are perfect for this event and my hubby would love these!

Rosie x