Friday 7 November 2008

Rosemary Remembrance Cake ~ In memory of Pistachio

"There's rosemary; that's for remembrance. Pray, love, remember." Shakespeare, Hamlet


I have baked this Rosemary Remembrance Cake in memory of our dearly departed friend Pistachio. I thought it would be fitting that all her friends over at The Pantry should cook or bake something from Nigella’s Feast, Food that Celebrates Life. So we are celebrating Pi’s life, love of food and memory in a way she would love and be pleased about.

I have never made the Rosemary Cake and was intrigued but the thought of rosemary in a cake put me off. I decided to take the plunge and I am so glad I did but sorry I didn’t try it sooner. The rosemary is very subtle against this madeira buttery cake, made with stewed apples. I will definitely make this cake again!
Rosemary Remembrance Cake

Makes approx. 10 slices

Ingredients
1 eating apple (approx. 180g in weight)
1 small sprig and 1 long sprig rosemary
1 teaspoon caster sugar
Juice and zest of ½ lemon
1 teaspoon butter

For the cake batter
225g butter
150g caster sugar plus 1 tablespoon
3 eggs
300g plain flour
2 teaspoons baking powder

Peel, core and roughly chop the apple and put into a saucepan with the small spig of rosemary, the teaspoon of sugar, the lemon zest and juice, and butter. Cover the pan and cook on a low heat for 4-8 minutes until the apple is soft. How long this takes really depends on the variety of apple you’re using. Coxes cook the fastest, and are good here. Leave to cool, and fish out the rosemary sprig when it is cold.

Preheat the oven to gas mark 3/170oC. Line a 450g loaf tin with a loaf tin liner, or butter and line the bottom with baking parchment.

Put the cooled apple into a food processor and blitz to a pulp. Then add the butter, 150g sugar, eggs, flour and baking powder and process to a smooth batter. Spoon and scrape into the loaf tin and smooth the top. Sprinkle the surface with the remaining tablespoon of sugar and then lay the long sprig of rosemary along the centre of the cake. On baking, the rosemary sheds its oil to leave a scented path down the middle of the cake.

Bake the cake for 50 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean, then leave to cool on a rack. Slip the paper-lined cake out of the tin once it is cool.

15 comments:

Rosie said...

Maria this is a most wonderful tribute to Pi. Thank you So much for thinking of this wonderful idea for us all.

I will also be posting my bake today in tribute to Pi.

The cake looks wonderful sweetie.

Hugs Rosie x

Finla said...

I am sure pi would have really love this cake.
It is a wonderful idea of you all to bake something as a tribute

natalia said...

Ciao !I'm very sorry for the loss of your friend. I'm sure she will appreciate your idea.

Beth (jamandcream) said...

Fantastic tribute to Pi. x x

Reeni said...

That is sweet for all of you to bake as a tribute. I bet the rosemary brought out great flavors in the apples. It looks great.

Rhyleysgranny said...

It was a lovely idea. Your cake looks superb
xxx

MrsB said...

It's a lovely cake to make in her memory - I am so sorry to hear such sad news x

Nic said...

She would have loved this, wonderful tribute Maria.

Vicky said...

Your cake looks gorgeous Maria. Your blog too is looking stunning. Lots of love xxx

Thinking About Food said...

A gorgeous idea and cake for Pi, Maria. ((()))

Anonymous said...

Maria this is such a fitting and thoughtful tribute to our great friend Pi. I have baked my cake today and hope to blog very soon.

xx

Maria said...

What a great tribute. The cake looks wonderful!

Gigi said...

very thoughtful and sweet tribute.

Ivy said...

What a kind gesture Maria. I would never have thought to use rosemary in a cake but I take your word for it and when I get some fresh rosemary I shall try it.

Swati said...

A touching gesture ..The cake looks lovely..