Saturday 14 March 2009

Chocolate Guinness Cake

Since I first stumbled across the recipe back in 2004 when Nigella Lawson launched her cookbook “Feast”, I have made this Chocolate Guinness Cake each year to celebrate St Patricks Day. It is one of my top 10 favourite cakes that I make and one my boys and I love eating! I guess it is the Irish in my boys that draw them to it.
This cake is a dark moist sponge that oozes the flavour of the chocolate and subtle undertones resonating from the Guinness. The frothy topped pint of Guinness is replicated here with the creamy exuberance of cream cheese frosting. Sprinkled with a touch of Irish charm in these shamrocks.

Happy St Patrick's Day!

Chocolate Guinness Cake

Makes 12 slices

Ingredients
For the cake

250ml Guinness
250g unsalted butter, cut into pieces
75g cocoa
400g caster sugar
142ml sour cream
2 eggs
1 tbsp vanilla extract
275g plain flour
2 ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda

For the topping
300g Philadelphia cream cheese
150g icing sugar
125ml double or whipping cream

Preheat the oven to gas mark 4/180˚C, butter and line a 23cm springform tin.
Start by pouring the Guinness into a large, wide saucepan and add the butter; heat until the butter's melted, at which time you should whisk in the cocoa and sugar. Beat the sour cream with eggs and vanilla and then pour in the pan of brown, buttery, beer and finally whisk in the four and bicarb.

Pour the cake batter into the prepared tin and bake for 45 minutes to an hour. Leave to cool completely in the tin on a cooling rack, as it's quite a damp cake.

When the cake's cold, sit it on a flat platter or cake stand and get on with the icing. Lightly whip the cream cheese until smooth, sieve over the icing sugar and then beat them both together. Add the cream and beat again until it makes a spreadable consistency.

Ice the top of the black cake so that it resembles the frothy top of the famous pint. Sprinkle with shamrock sprinkles or green glitter or sugar (optional).

21 comments:

Finla said...

Wow looks so delicious, it is almost coffee time here, wish i had that slice with my coffee.

test it comm said...

Great looking stout cake!

Reeni said...

How rich and decadent! It looks so moist and lovely. I love the sprinkles!

Caroline said...

Mmmm, fudgy goodness! It looks seriously good Maria. Is it quite a sweet cake (400g sugar seems quite a bit) or does the Guiness temper the sweetness? I love the contrast between dark cake and light icing!

Maria said...

Love the cake...and cake stand!!

Ivy said...

Love the cake. It looks so dark.

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

This looks so moist and good. Perfect St Patty's Day cake!

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

That looks amazing and I really like the cute little sprinkles on top :)

Rhyleysgranny said...

I had a disaster with this the last time I made it:(. Yours looks wonderful. I may make it again tomorrow. Happy Saint Pat's
xxx

Bimmer said...

this is the first time I have heard of using stout in cakes! but it sure looks great!

Anonymous said...

Chocolate and Guinness.

There is a Heaven! lol I am definitely going to have to give this a go.

♥Rosie♥ said...

Happy St Patrick's Day to you and the boys too!

Feast is my favourite book of Nigella's and this cake takes some beating. our cake looks wonderful as always with your bakes Maria.

Rosie x

Nickki said...

I love this cake! The sprinkles look great :)

Begoña said...

María, me ha encantado encontrar tu blog. No he podido verlo detenidamente, pero por lo poco que he podido leer, se que me va a gustar.
Esta tarta que has publicado hoy la conocía pero nunca la he preparado. Tiene una pinta deliciosa....
Ya te visitaré más a menudo,
Un saludo, Begoña

hungryandfrozen said...

I have just put this very cake in the oven myself. It is my most requested cake ever! Yours looks gorgeous - love the sprinkles :)

Anne said...

Mmm the cake looks great! I love your sprinkles too they are very cute!

ShellyH said...

Happy St Pattys Day! Welcome to the foodie blog roll. Your cake looks awesome!

Maria♥ said...

Welcome newbies and thanks everyone for the lovely comments!

Crumbs, the sugar seems a lot but it counter balances the bitterness in the guinness perfectly!

Maria
x

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous cake isn't it Maria. I've not made it today as my last can of Guinness ended up in a stew instead!
I love the sprinkles you've added though, very appropriate.

Happy St Patrick's Day to you also!

Ruth Strong said...

Loving the look of this cake though I'm not a big fan of the black stuff I'm sure I'd enjoy a slice of this! Hope you had a great St. Paddy's

Christelle said...

Fab cake, I love guiness :)