Thursday 2 April 2009

Apple Flapjacks

What better way than to start a glorious spring day in the kitchen with some light baking and trying out a new recipe. These Apple Flapjacks are so easy to make and not many ingredients, which most of us will have readily available in our kitchens. They are like ordinary flapjacks, except they have chopped apples which produce a really moist, delicious, sweet and buttery experience that resembles what I can only describe as toffee apple heaven! I have a feeling these won’t last long once my boys hit the cake tin. I couldn’t resist and had to add this pic of my cat Coco in one of her favourite spots, by the kitchen window watching me whilst I bake!

"What's that your baking? it smells delish!!"

Apple Flapjacks

Ingredients
250g (8oz) butter
250g (8oz) caster sugar
175g (6oz) golden syrup
425g (14oz) porridge oats
2 apples, peeled and chopped

Preheat oven to Gas 4, 180°C, 350°F. Grease and line base a 20x30cm (8x12in) cake tin with baking parchment.
Melt butter, caster sugar and golden syrup together in a pan, stirring until sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and stir in oats and apples.
Spread mixture in tin and bake for 20-25 minutes. Cut into 12-14 bars; allow to cool before turning out of the tin.

24 comments:

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

These sound very yummy!

The Caked Crusader said...

Apple and flapjcks - two of my favourite things combined! And the cat's pretty lovely too!

Finla said...

Looks like someone is really enjoying the sun in the windowsill.
elicious flapjacks, must admit i have never tasted them.
It is in my try list.

Hope you had a wonderful weekend and anniversery with your hubby.

Arundathi said...

this looks seriously fabulous!! gotta try it. thanks.

Anonymous said...

I never would have thought of fresh apples in flapjack (I've used dried though), but they look gorgeous.

Katiecakes said...

They look beautiful! Yum!!

Also, The Hummingbird book is well worth the wait! I'm still plowing through the first glance recipes :D

Katie xox

Caroline said...

These look great Maria - the idea of toffee apple flapjacks is fabulous - I wonder if adding a few chewy toffees to the mix would work?

Nickki said...

They look delicious, I love flapjacks so I'll try these tomorrow. What a beautiful cat! x

Heather said...

Those flapjacks look delicious. I must try making them. Coco is absolutely beautiful - I love her pose.

Anonymous said...

These sound delicious! I've got some apples leftover from some muffins I just made...I think I know how I'll be using them up. ;)

Reeni said...

They looks so moist and delicious! And so easy. Coco is gorgeous!

Anne said...

Both Coco and the flapjacks look gorgeous!

I love adding apple to anything, it even went in rice pudding yesterday!

x

Ruth Strong said...

These look incredible! I'm loving apples at the minute

♥Rosie♥ said...

Mmmmmm I just love flapjacks and these sound really good!

Rosie x

Melly said...

Made these today and added cinnamon, my husban went crazy for them xx

Anonymous said...

tesco's stole your recipe:
http://www.tesco.com/todayattesco/cookbook/archive/apple_flapjacks.shtml
Making some now they'll be yummy!!
..Hopefully if i don't burn them!

Alicia Foodycat said...

These look delicious! And a very beautiful cat.

Haley said...

My flap jacks are in the oven : ]
I added a tbsp of cinnamon to the chopped apples and a tsp to the oats. I also sliced a whole spare apple very, very thinly sprinkled with cinnamon and grilled on the foreman for 15 mins and layed on top of the mix before chucking in the oven. Mmmmmm...

{A Muslimahs Musings} said...

One of my fav recipes i've stumbled across - never fails!

Delish!

Anonymous said...

These are great! So economical to make and keep well too. I like adding cinnamon and some ground almonds to the mix.

Paula said...

i made the apple flapjacks and they were lovely! thank you for the recipe!:)

Grazing Kate said...

I'm going to try these tonight - half for dessert and half for the school's cake sale tomorrow - thanks for the great recipe.

Anonymous said...

These apple flapjacks are simply gorgeous. Very quick and easy to make. We all love them. I love the texture of them and the moistness. We are supposed to be on a healthy eating regime but this has sent us a bit off course.

Thank you very much for sharing with us! I just love baking, ite really helps to make a house a home - along with our moggies, Bentley and Morgan who like to help in the procedure.

Sinead- Bumbles of Rice said...

I just made these and loved them- I blogged them to with links to yours. Love the blog, I've tried loads of recipes from it at this stage and they've all turned out great.
Sinead