Thursday 9 April 2009

Chocolate Fudge Easter Cakes

Easter wouldn’t be Easter without chocolate and over the coming weekend most of us will over-dose to the point of never wanting to eat chocolate again! I’m starting my chocolate marathon with these Chocolate Fudge Easter Cakes. These cakes have a light, fluffy chocolate sponge, topped with luscious chocolate buttercream frosting and completed with a colourfully wrapped chocolate egg. An “egg-cellent” Easter treat that kids and adults will devour!

Chocolate Fudge Easter Cakes

Makes 16

Ingredients
140g soft butter
140g golden caster sugar
3 medium eggs
100g self-raising flour
25g cocoa, sifted

For the frosting:
85g milk chocolate, broken
85g soft butter
140g icing sugar, sifted
Foil-wrapped chocolate eggs

Heat oven to 190C/fan 170C/gas 5 and put 16 gold cases into a fairy-cake tin. Tip all the ingredients for the cake into a mixing bowl and beat for 2 mins with an electric hand-whisk until smooth. Divide between the cases so they are two-thirds filled, then bake for 12-15 mins until risen. Cool on a wire rack.
For the frosting, microwave the chocolate on high for 1 min. Cream the butter and sugar together, then beat in the melted chocolate. Spread on the cakes and decorate with the foil-wrapped chocolate eggs.

25 comments:

Arundathi said...

ohmygoodness that looks so great, Maria. Definitely gonna make these.

Sweet Treats by Dani said...

oh this would hit the spot right now! :)

Kelly-Jane said...

Beautiful! Well done :)

Mermaid Sews said...

These cakes look so cute, I am thinking of doing something similar tonight!

Sally said...

Snap! But I made them in to baskets. And I melted the choc over water as I had a big accident doing it in the microwave.

Nic said...

Chocolate fudge? I'm already there!! Wonderful Maria.

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

Oh lovely!

Caroline said...

They look lovely Maria - the sparkly eggs look good too. Just right for a mini chocolate hit!

Reeni said...

I love these because they don't have a lot of ingredients in them. So easy to make and they look delicious! I love the little eggs on top!

Illona said...

Lovely looking cakes, Maria. Excuse me while I dash into the kitchen to try them out...

Elyse said...

Mmm, what a perfect way to kick off the chocolate Easter season. Delicious!! Have a great chocolate binge and a happy Easter!

Katiecakes said...

Yummers! The buttercream looks to die for!!

Katie xox

Nickki said...

They look gorgeous! My kids love these. Happy Easter! x

Anonymous said...

What beautiful Easter Cakes, Maria!! I love the little Easter egg candies on top. They are so cute. :)

Happy Easter to you and your family!!

beckie said...

Just made these with my kids, gorgeous!!! perfect for easter :) thank you for sharin xx happy easter xx

Half Baked said...

Mmmm those look like some really delicious cuppies:)

Maria said...

Love the shiny eggs on top! DELISH!

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

These look delicious!

Heather said...

So pretty! Perfect to serve at a party. The recipe looks nice and rich with three eggs in it.

Starwoodgal said...

I just love finding other cooking BLOGS. Your site is wonderful.

Come visit me over @ http://starwoodgal.wordpress.com

We'll share some recipes.

Anonymous said...

They look wonderful Maria. So cute with the foil wrappers glinting away too.

Finla said...

Hope you are fine there maria, have not seen any delicious new baking here.
How is your cute cat doing.

Maria♥ said...

Thanks for all the lovely comments.

Happy Cook, I've lost my baking mojo since Easter and have been busy lately. My cat Ollie is doing fine and everyday his with us is a blessing. I'm hoping to do some blogging next week! Take care and thanks so much for thinking about me and Ollie.

Hugs
Maria
x

Angela @ A Spoonful of Sugar said...

These look great, Maria! And far more enticing (to me) than an actual Easter egg :)

Finla said...

Maria well i am sure you will get your baking mojo soon back and good to hear ollie is going fine.