Wednesday 6 May 2009

Banana Loaf

A few weeks back I finally received a copy of The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook and the wait was really worth it, the book has an amazing collection of recipe after delicious recipe of cupcakes, muffins, brownies, pies, cakes, cheesecakes and cookies. I couldn’t wait to start baking from the book and I decided to kill two birds with one stone and use up the bananas going ripe in my fruit bowl and also bake my first recipe from the book. I’ve baked many banana loafs over the years and have several firm favourites but I’m always happy to try out new recipes. This recipe was seriously quick and easy to make and I loved the simplicity of this loaf, no nuts or chocolate, just a basic banana loaf that is moist and full of flavour! You could of course add nuts or chocolate, or even better add both. I’m now looking forward to trying out more recipes from the book and have plans to make the Nutty Apple Loaf next, so watch this space!

Banana Loaf

Makes 8-10 slices

Ingredients
270g soft light brown sugar
2 eggs
200g peeled bananas, mashed
280g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
140g unsalted butter, melted

A 23 x 13-cm loaf tin, greased and dusted with flour

Preheat the oven to 170oC/325oF/Gas 3.

Put the sugar and eggs in a freestanding electric mixer with a paddle attachment and beat until well incorporated. Beat in the mashed bananas.

Add the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon and ginger to the sugar mixture. Mix it thoroughly until all the dry ingredients have been incorporated into the egg mixture. Pour in the melted butter and beat until all the ingredients are well mixed.

Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf tin and smooth over with a palette knife. Bake in the preheated oven for about 1 hour, or until firm to the touch and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Leave the cake to cool slightly in the tin before turning out onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely.

20 comments:

Heather said...

I love banana loaf! Nice that you made it plain without chocolate etc. - that will bring out the true banana flavor. Thanks for the recipe from your new book.

Sweet Treats by Dani said...

as much as i love playing with banana bread recipes, i always find the most basic ones to be best
looks yummy :)

Ann said...

Maria,
Your blog pasge itslef so girly and refreshing :) love the color...
and the loaf is so perfect!!

Reeni said...

This looks real yummy, Maria. It has a nice texture and looks so tender and moist.

MaryBeth said...

OMG....YUM-O, this looks so darn good!

Finla said...

I love banana bread it always is moist and delcious andthis one looks really yumm.
I am happy that you are back with your baking :-)

Katiecakes said...

It's a great book, isn't it?! I adore banana bread, it's probably my most baked of cakes. Yum!!

I look forward to the apple loaf, I've been eyeing that one up too ;)

Katie xox

Rhyleysgranny said...

I am hearing a lot about this book. Your bread looks lovely

The Curious Cat said...

My mouth is watering!!! I love Banana loaf! My boyfriend is allergic to bananas - poor soul. Might take inspiration from you though and bake a loaf!! :) xxx

Nickki said...

I always have over ripe bananas hanging around, so it's a good thing I love banana loaf! On my way to make this recipe right now :)

natalia said...

I love your banana loaf I'm always tring new recipes too !

Nickki said...

Well I made this recipe and absolutely loved it Maria :) A lovely banana loaf I'll definitely make again :)

♥Rosie♥ said...

Your banana bread looks delish Maria and always nice to find newer recipes to use ripe bananas up ;0)

Rosie x

George said...

This was my first bake from the book and I have to say I wasn't the least bit disappointed, it's the best banana bread I've ever tasted by miles. Yours looks fab.

cookies and cups said...

These sounds delicious! Great job!

Anonymous said...

Just found your blog - Ilo9ve it. Have just baked the banana loaf - OMG its delish!!!
Many thanks
Jane x

DogLover said...

My banana loaf is just out of the oven and it turned out perfect, I could not just have one slice! I chose to use your recipe as it is highly attractive, simple and easy to use :) Thankyou for providing such a great blog, shall deffo be back to look again.

Susie Q said...

First attempt at banana loaf and this is easy and brill. Have even made it in a square tin so I can feed more folk - no complaints so far !

LĂ©onie said...

Thank you Maria, found your blog, love it, am now positively addicted! This recipe is my fav so far - it's simple and no nuts or chocolate in sight! ;)
I did reduce the sugar to 175g, use whole meal flour and in general 3 mid sized bananas. Still delicious!
So please keep posting! :)

Linsay said...

Love banana loaf. Will defo be giving this one a try tonight.

www.misslinnyo.blogspot.co.uk