Wednesday 20 May 2009

The Infamous Neiman Marcus $250 Cookies!

The rumour that gave this cookie its rise to fame tells of a customer who inadvertently paid $250 for this cookie recipe, thinking she was being charged $2.50! Apparently the story is one of the most famous urban legends in baking history. The story has been going around for over 50 years and it is completely untrue! Neiman Marcus nonetheless published the cookie recipe to quell rumours. If you love your cookies crispy and chewy then you will love these, they have the perfect texture. The centres are chewy, chocolaty and sweet, with the espresso powder adding a sophisticated element, which is wonderfully balanced with the rest of the cookie. If you have never made these famous cookies, I think you should go and get your butter out right now and make them!! These babies will fly out of the cookie jar once my boys arrive home and take that first bite of what has to be one of the most expensive chocolate chip cookies in the world, even if it is untrue.

Neiman Marcus Cookies

Makes 2 dozen

Ingredients
115g unsalted butter, softened
200g light brown sugar
1 egg
2 tsp vanilla extract
200g plain flour
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
1 ½ tsp instant coffee powder
225g plain chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 190oC/170oC fan oven/375oF/Gas mark 5.

Beat the butter and sugar together, and add the egg and vanilla extract.

Sift together the remaining dry ingredients, including the coffee powder. Stir the dry ingredients into the butter mixture and mix in the chocolate chips.

Roll into balls. Use your fingers to flatten onto a non-stick baking sheet 5cm/2inch apart. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes and then place on cooling rack.

Store in an airtight container for 4 to 5 days.

16 comments:

Anne said...

They look like perfect cookies!

Love the story behind them, you have to wonder if its true...

Finla said...

250 $ I would have been sick for days thinking aobut the money if it was me :-)
Cookies look really yumm.

Mermaid Sews said...

Cool, I haven't seen a post on these yet, but have always wanted to try. They look fabulous.

Reeni said...

What a funny story! They sound so delicious! Your kids will be so happy to see these, the best after-school treat!

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

Chocolate chip cookies are so good!! I think they should all be worth a fortune!

symphonious sweets said...

Thanks for the great story and another recipe to try!

MaryBeth said...

I have heard the story of these cookies and it is so cool, I love the looks of them...perfect!

Nickki said...

They look delicious! My boys love chocolate chip cookies so I'm going to have to try this recipe. That story has definitely become quite an urban myth now isn't it? But then again, I have a friend from Michigan who swears the story is true! Lol xx

The Girl said...

I've had that e-mail so many times!

Will definitely have to try these soon. Not this weekend though, I have something exciting planned for my weekend baking activity. Stay tuned!

Maria said...

Mmmmmm! I love my cookies! These look perfect!

Cat Samuels said...

I made these last night and they are the very first cookies I have successfully baked!!! chewy and crunchy. I've attempted cookies so many times and these are awesome! thank you x

Elyse said...

Oh the infamous Neiman Marcus CCC! It certainly looks fabulous. I'm definitely going to have to try this recipe. Yum!

Clare said...

I just made 29 of the these cookies...omg they are amazing !!!!!!

Half are gone already and they're still cooling down, lol. Thanks so much for sharing.

Clare

Maria♥ said...

Cat Samuels, that's great that these cookies were a success for you!

Clare, so glad you made these and I'm not surprised there aren't many left!! They really are amazing cookies.

Thanks everyone for the wonderful and kind comments!

Maria
x

♥Rosie♥ said...

Oh WOW Maria these only look sound gorgeous but look it too! Mmmmm. A must try ;0)

Rosie x

Somaya said...

Firstly, thanks for a great site!
Secondly, I must try this recipe, they sound, and look heavenly! Also it's a great story =)