Thursday 16 July 2009

St Clement's Drizzle Cake

This week I received Jo Pratt’s new book “In the Mood for Entertaining” from my latest Amazon late night shopping spree. I loved her previous book “In the Mood for Food”, which is totally girly and pink and very me. Her new book has page after page of delicious and inspiring recipes that I am really looking forward to making. I’m excited to present my first offering from this book, St Clement’s Drizzle Cake. Don’t you just love the name of this cake? I presume it originates from the poem about execution turned nursery rhyme Oranges and Lemons! I remember playing the singing game associated with this nursery rhyme in Primary school. Only today did I realise its origins but maybe the lines “Here comes a Chopper to Chop off your Head, Chip chop chip chop - the Last Man's Dead”, should have given it away! The cake, in hubby’s words was described as... “mmm that’s really nice”, which was the correct response if he didn't want to lose his head, hahaha! This quick cake recipe produces a very light and moist sponge that is bursting with those wonderful citrusy flavours soaked through, finished with a crunchy sugary top. The perfect refreshing summertime cake!

St Clement’s Drizzle Cake

Ingredients
175g caster sugar
175g softened butter
Grated zest and juice of 1 large lemon
Grated zest and juice of 1 large orange
4 tablespoons milk
2 eggs
175g self-raising flour
3 tablespoons granulated sugar

Preheat the oven to 180oC/fan 160oC/gas 4.

Grease and line the base of 1 large (900g) or 2 small (450g) loaf tins.

Place the caster sugar, butter and zest of the lemon and orange in a bowl and beat together until pale and creamy. Add the milk, and then beat in the eggs, one at a time, with a spoon of flour to prevent the mixture from curdling. Mix in the remaining flour. Spoon into the prepared tin/tins and level the surface flat.

Bake in the oven for about 45 minutes for a large cake or 30 minutes for the smaller cakes until they are golden and a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the centre of the cake.

While the cake is cooking, place the lemon and orange juice in a saucepan, bring to the boil and allow to reduce in quantity to about 3 tablespoons. Leave to cool, and then stir in the granulated sugar so it just starts to dissolve.

As soon as the cake comes out of the oven, prick several times with a skewer, then slowly pour the lemon and orange sugar all over the top, letting it soak into the cake. Leave to cool completely in the tin before turning out and cutting into slices to serve.


13 comments:

♥Rosie♥ said...

WOW Maria this is one gorgeous loaf cake!! I just adore citrus flavours in bakes. Two minds think a like - I have this on my bake list to do ;0)

I'd love to sit down to a slice of your cake with a cuppa - mmmmmm

Rosie x

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

Very appealing Maria :)

Heather said...

I love lemon flavored cake. Your "St Clement's Drizzle Cake" looks so delicious. I remember playing Oranges and Lemons as a little girl - had no idea of its rather gruesome origin!

Pity said...

thanx maria for this recipe i am going to try right away, i just discover your blog and i loved it! your cats are so cute! i hope you have the tima and have a look at my blog, i'm a spanish living in london married to an englishman.
cheers!
pity

Anna said...

Ooh this looks perfectly moist... I'm such a drizzle fan XD. Sounds so fresh and summery!

Kelly-Jane said...

This was my first make too! I've made it again, actually, didn't get enough the first time :)Yum!

Karine said...

This cake must have an amazing citurs flavor! Thanks for sharing your recipe!

Anne said...

That looks gorgeous, my kind of cake as love anything citrusy! Love the name too, by coincidence I snagged a recipe the other day for st clements trifle which I must get around to making! x

Maggie said...

I made this cake the other week Maria. It is one of the best citrus cakes I have ever made and so yummy!

Helen said...

Hi...I've given you an award! See my blog for details : )

Nickki said...

Delicious looking cake Maria! I have lots of oranges in the fruit bowl so guess what I'm going to make later on? :)

Unknown said...

Looks delicious – I'm going to try doing 1 1/2 times the recipe and baking it in a round sponge tin for a birthday cake. Can't wait, have been looking for a decent St Clement's recipe for ages. Thanks for sharing xx

Unknown said...

Looks delicious, I have been looking for a decent St Clement's recipe for ages. I'm going to try doing 1 1/2 times the recipe and baking it in a round sponge tin for a birthday cake. Thanks so much for sharing, it looks perfect! x