Wednesday 22 July 2009

Summer Berries Fruit Tart

Over the weekend I took advantage of having a variety of summer berries in the fridge and made another bake from “In the Mood for Entertaining” by Jo Pratt. This second offering from the book is this recipe for Favourite Fruit Tart. On this occasion it became Summer Berries Fruit Tart, this recipe is very adaptable and you could use any fruit combo. I don’t often make my own pastry and normally go the ready-made route but this time I decided to venture out of my comfort zone. I knew there was a reason why I avoid making my own, as the pastry gave me some trouble but I managed to make it work and it didn’t turn out at all bad in the end. Once the pastry was done the rest was child’s play. I was dubious about the tart having no other filling than the berries with the sprinkling of icing sugar but it turned out wonderful. I am definitely going to make this tart again and try it with other fruit combos, especially using apricots! I served this gorgeous summer tart with a generous helping of double cream.



Summer Berries Fruit Tart

Serves 8


Ingredients
225g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
150g butter
75g caster sugar
1 egg plus 1 egg yolk, beaten
750g-1kg of your chosen fruit
Icing sugar, to dust

You will need a 23cm to 24cm plain or fluted shallow tart/flan tin.

To make the pastry, place the flour, butter and sugar in a food processor and blitz briefly until it resembles breadcrumbs. Slowly add the egg a little at a time until the pastry binds together. Knead very lightly on a floured surface to a smooth dough.

Roll out the pastry and line the tart tin. Trimming any excess pastry. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes (or up to 2 days) covered loosely with clingfilm.

Preheat the oven to 160oC/fan 140oC/gas 2-3. Place a baking tray in the oven to heat up.

To prepare the tart, work from the outside in, really packing the fruit into the pastry case and dust with a generous amount of icing sugar.

Place in the oven on top of the hot baking tray. Cook for 30 minutes before reducing the oven temperature to 140oC/fan 120oC/gas 1-2 and cooking for a further 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the fruits are becoming golden on top.

Cool in the tin slightly before carefully removing and dusting again with icing sugar. Serve warm or at room temperature.

14 comments:

Katiecakes said...

That looks so pretty and elegant. I'm glad your pastry came out OK, it's quite tough in these humid times we're having at the moment :S

Katie xox

Ann said...

OMG!!! such a delish lookin Tart, berries are so fresh and mouth watering.

Heather said...

Lovely tart! I just love summer berries.

summer fruits said...

these looks so beautiful and such a delicious look lovely

The Caked Crusader said...

what an interesting idea - I've never seen fruit go straight onto the pastry without a layer of cream or custard.

George said...

Maria that looks so good :) I'm going to have to seriously reconsider about buying this book!

Reeni said...

This is gorgeous Maria! Your pastry looks perfect!

Maria said...

Gorgeous tart!

Nickki said...

Wow! What a gorgeous looking fruit tart. I think I'm going to have to get this book after all! :)

MrsB said...

great tart, it looks lovely with the spinklying of icing sugar and is the perfect summer pudding. I keep flicking through her book, i'm very tempted to buy it!

George said...

Hi Maria, I have an award for you on my blog :)

Anna said...

Wow, this really couldn't be simpler, but it looks so elegant! Absolutely perfect for the time of year. Colour me a fan...

The Curious Cat said...

That looks fabulous! A shop bought one could not compare - so delicious! xxx

Maggie said...

Another great bake from Jo Pratt's book. Looks lovely.