Wednesday 8 July 2009

Vanilla Fudgies to celebrate Ollie's 1st Birthday!!


Today my gorgeous Ollie celebrated his 1st birthday, a day we didn’t think he would see! Many of my followers will know that back in February Ollie was diagnosed with FIP (Feline Infectious Peritonitis), with the diagnosis being bleak for him. Despite the vet not giving him much time, he has defied the odds and is doing well. He does have his bad days where it’s a struggle to eat and those days are hard for me to get through. Ollie having his 1st birthday gives me hope for his future but we take each day as a blessing, he's my little fighter!! I couldn’t go today without marking this special occasion and incorporating my other love…baking! I choose these Vanilla Fudgies as the colouring and their name remind me of Ollie and his distinctive cream colour. Fudge was one of the names in my top five list before we settled on Ollie. The muffins were super easy to make, with the chopping of the fudge being the only time-consuming task. These are light and fluffy, with a lovely vanilla flavour studded with melted nuggets of glorious golden fudge. Eat these while they’re still warm to really enjoy the squidgy, soft fudge chunks at their best but they are equally nice once cooled. Be warned these are very moreish!



Vanilla Fudgies

Makes 12

Ingredients
300g/10oz/2 cups self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
115g/4oz/ ½ cup caster sugar
100g/3½oz fudge, cut into pieces (any type of fudge you like – vanilla, chocolate, raisin, clotted)
125ml/4fl oz/ ½ cup milk
100ml/3 ½ fl oz/ scant ½ cup half-fat crème fraiche
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
60g/2o butter, melted

Preheat the oven to 200oC/180oC fan/400oF/Gas 6. Grease or line a 12-hole muffin pan.

Combine the flour, baking powder and sugar and sift into a large bowl, then scatter the fudge on top.

In a separate bowl or jug, lightly beat the milk, crème fraiche, egg and vanilla until smooth, then stir in the butter. Pour into the dry ingredients and mix together until just combined, then spoon big dollops of the mixture into the prepared muffin pan.

Bake for about 20 minutes until risen and golden. Leave to cool in the pan for a few minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool.


This muffin recipe comes courtesy from my latest new book, Muffin Magic!

24 comments:

Patty said...

AWWW Ollie you are the bestest!! Here's all of us across the pond wishing you the happiest of Happy Birthdays! We love you so much! I'm wondering if you had a taste of your gorgeous fudge cupcake??!!
Love and lots of kisses,
Patty and family
xoxo

Reeni said...

Happy Birthday to Ollie! He's so precious! The fudgies sound amazing!

Ann said...

Ollie baby, I wish you a very Happy Birthday! You are precious :)
May you have very happy and healthy life.

Ivy said...

Oh, I am so happy that Olie is well again. Happy Birthday Olie!!! Hope he lives many years. We lost our precious cat Lisa fifteen days ago and it hurts a lot.

Sasha said...

Aw. Ollie is an adorable little guy <3 I wish him all the best.

I have a cat too : ] She'll be 11 in August, if I'm not mistaken.

The Girl said...

Hurray for Ollie!! I've been wondering how he was but didn't want to ask in case the news wasn't good.

He's so gorgeous, I just want to pick him up and squeeze him!

The muffins look so good, can't go wrong with a bit of fudge!! Fred and Lily will be one in August so I could save this and make it for them! Although I don't think I'll really need an excuse to make them.

The Curious Cat said...

Yum Yum! They look delicious! And happy birthday to the gorgeous Ollie! I can't believe he is such a young mite and struggling with an illness already! Poor little thing! He is a beautiful cat though - such deep soulful eyes! xxx

Katiecakes said...

Awh, I'm so glad Ollie is OK! He's such a beautiful cat, such pretty colouring.

Those fudgies sound amazing! I tried to make some like that with banana in them once but they didn't rise much. I'll have to give your recipe a go next time!

Katie xox

The Curious Cat said...

PS What a horrible disease - just read the link!

Heather said...

Happy Birthday, darling little Ollie! May you be blessed with many more and get better from that horrible sickness. Do you like those pretty cakes your Mommy made for your Birthday?

♥Rosie♥ said...

Awe happy birthday to our little soldier Ollie - a huge kiss and cuddle from auntie Rosie X I hope you have many,many more birthdays!!

Those muffins look gorgeous and I'm sure Ollie was at your side baking with you - now mummy he says, pass one for me to try :0)

Rosie x

Liz said...

Hi! I have just found out about your blog. I really love your recipes, and this one sounds really good. Happy birthday to Ollie!

MaryBeth said...

Happy Birthday Ollie...keep on being cute and adorable.

Caroline said...

Really glad to hear about Ollie's first birthday - he's such a cutie!

The muffins look yummy too!

Nic said...

Happy birthday to Ollie! He is a beautiful kitty and I'm so glad he is still with you.

Abitofafoodie said...

These look absolutely scrumptious and they wouldn't last a moment in my house!
Happy Birthday to Ollie!

Kelly-Jane said...

Happy Birthday Ollie! Hugs and kisses for a special little cat :)

Vanilla fudgies (love the name) look lovely too.

Anna said...

These sound so delicious, I love the sound of the fudge chunks. And happy birthday Ollie of course!

Sarah said...

A belated happy birthday to Ollie! I've been wondering how he is after stumbling upon your blog back in February.
Glad to see him looking well.
xx :0)

Cris said...

Yummy fudgees.. My kids really love fudgies.. although they love cakes a lot, I prefer to have cup cakes and fudgies on their birthdays.

It's just easy for me to put icing of different colors with the letter of their names on it. Love it!

Hayley said...

Happy Birthday Ollie you little survivor! May you go on to celebrate many birthdays more : )

And what gorgeous birthday muffins, I LOVE fudge! xxx

Esme said...

Happy Birthday to Ollie, may he celebrate many birthdays.

Nickki said...

Awww, Happy belated birthday to Ollie! Sorry I'm late, I haven't been around much. I'm so glad to hear Ollie is doing well. I wish him a very happy and healthy life! And those muffins look divine :)

natalia said...

I wish a very happy birthday to Ollie and wish his FIP is a type that won't bother him too much for the rest of his long life !