Sunday 17 April 2011

Cookies and Cream Fudge Brownies

It’s been another busy weekend of spring cleaning and de-cluttering, it may be hard work but it always feels so good once it’s all done. Whilst hubby was moving his office up into the loft room I made good use of my time to bake these brownies I keep hearing so much about in the blog world. Anything that involves a combination of chocolate and Oreo cookies gets my vote, who else is in agreement? If there was only one word I was allowed to use to describe these brownies it would be have to be WOW! These brownies are incredibly delicious and would be wonderful served warm with some good quality vanilla ice cream. If you dare to make these you will without doubt want to bake them again.

On a side note this week I had the best surprise from my hubby when after years of lusting after a DSLR camera he bought me the Canon EOS 500D + 18-55mm + 75-300mm Twin Lens Kit!! I am such a lucky girl/wife and love my new camera. Although it's gonna take me some time to really learn how to use it to full advantage. The pics of the brownies are taken with my new camera and I can immediately see the difference in quality compared to anything before. I'm really looking forward to taking more pics of my baking and cooking with my new toy :)


Cookies and Cream Fudge Brownies

Ingredients
165g/5½oz butter, plus extra for greasing
200g/7oz dark chocolate, grated or finely chopped
3 free-range eggs
2 free-range egg yolks 1 vanilla pod, seeds only (or alternatively 2 tsp vanilla extract)
165g/5½ oz soft light brown sugar
2 tbsp plain flour
1 tbsp cocoa powder
pinch salt
154g/5½oz pack chocolate biscuits, such as Oreos, broken into quarters
icing sugar, for dusting (optional)

Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Grease a 20cm/8in square baking tin with butter, then line with baking paper with the paper overlapping the sides a little.

Melt the butter in a pan over a medium heat. When the butter has melted, remove the pan from the heat and add the grated (or chopped) chocolate. Leave to stand for a few minutes, or until the chocolate melts, and then stir together. Alternatively, you can put the chocolate and butter in a bowl and melt in the microwave in 25-second blasts, stirring well each time.

Whisk the eggs, egg yolks and vanilla together in a large bowl until the eggs begin to get light and fluffy. Add the sugar in two additions, whisking between each. Pour it around the side of the egg mix so as not to knock out the air that has been whisked in. Keep whisking until the mixture becomes stiffer. Once the egg mixture is ready, pour the chocolate into it - again around the sides so as not to knock the air out.

Add the flour, cocoa powder, salt and a third of the biscuits and stir until fully combined, then pour the mixture into the prepared tin. Scatter the remaining biscuits over the top, pressing them in slightly. Bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 25–30 minutes. The middle should be very so slightly gooey.

Leave the brownies to cool in the tin - the top will sink and crack a little. Pull the brownies out using the overlapping paper and cut into squares. Dust with icing sugar.

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, don't these look scrumptious!!!! I am definitely going to try these!! Oh how yummy!

xx,
Tammy

Caroline said...

Yum, they look really tasty Maria - don't know if I've had oreos, might have to rectify that pretty soon.

MaryBeth said...

OMG...these look so gooey and sinful that I really wish I had a piece of it to eat now.

natalia said...

Ciao Maria ! these cookies are crazy ! I'm afraid to try them !

Reeni said...

The brownies look delectable! Have fun with your new camera!

cocoa and coconut said...

These look incredible! I love the look of the oreo-packed texture. YUM

Petit Filoux said...

I've seen this recipe a few times already in blogland and i'm staying well clear because i know, i just know, i'd have to eat the whole lot in one sitting - all by myself...!

Cats_cupcakes said...

Ooo is this out of the loraine pascal book? I've been wanting to make these brownies for aaages...they look so scrummy :)

Emma said...

i gave up chocolate for lent so as soon as it's over i will be making these! x

Donna said...

Goodness! This looks Wonderful!
Happy week to you!
Donna

Maria♥ said...

Thanks everyone for the lovely comments.

Cats Cupcakes, yes these are from Lorraine Pascal's book :)

Maria
x

Cooking Gallery said...

These look totally scrumptious....!! I love everything cookies and cream. These brownies remind me of Ben and Jerry's ice cream, yum!

Greedyrosie said...

EVERYWHERE I look, bloggers are trying to ruin my healthy eating intentions. They look truly gorgeous.

The Caked Crusader said...

I love the look of these - particularly the oreos set in the top - somehow they look like ammonites; really pretty!

Choclette said...

Oh my Maria, your brownies can be nothing but sublime. Despite my best endeavours, I do sneak the odd packet on oreos into the house, so these are going straight onto my list.

Gloria Baker said...

María my kids really love oreos and this would be amazing for them! xx gloria

Kelly-Jane said...

Lovely brownies, and you have fun with your new toy :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, amazing!!! Def on my to-bake list :)

Maggie said...

Those fudge brownies look wonderful.
Have fun with the new camera!

Chele said...

You bad lady, leading me astray when I am eating such healthy food these days - NOT!!! How many pro points in these bad boys lol.

Kitchens said...

I think I need to put a bright red warning labels in your blog in my feed reader, and can only read it, I'm not hungry, or at least when I have to eat a healthy meal. The temptation to rush and try to rebuild as it is great.

xgjnbatnujbgc said...

These look amazing! Definitely going to be trying these. x

Anonymous said...

I made these for my boyfirend'd birthday and he loved them! Thank you! This is my favourite blog!! :)

Aimie
xx