Monday 18 April 2011

Easter Biscuits

Today I've started my Easter baking festivities with these Easter Biscuits which I made a couple of years ago and never got round to baking them last year. These spicy fruited biscuits are a traditional English gift, given to guests on Easter Sunday and originates from the west country. These moreish biscuits are quick and easy to whip up and provide a refreshing accompaniment to a cup of afternoon tea!



Easter Biscuits

Makes 10-15
Ingredients
100g butter
80g caster sugar
1 egg yolk
150g plain flour
½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp mixed spice
100g currants
1 extra tbsp caster sugar

To make the biscuits, heat the oven to 170C/Gas 3.
With an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolk.

Sift together the flour, baking powder and mixed spice.Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, mixing well with a knife. Mix in the currants, squishing the dough together and kneading briefly until smooth, allowing the warmth of your hands to soften it.

Roll out finely on a lightly floured bench (best done under a sheet of clingfilm) and cut into 6cm or 8cm rounds with a plain or fluted biscuit-cutter.

Place on a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper, and sprinkle with caster sugar. Bake for 12 to 15 min until just cooked, but not browned.

Carefully transfer to a wire rack — the biscuits should still be a little soft but will become crisp as they cool.

15 comments:

natalia said...

Cara Maria I think they're my kind of cookies !

Pink Fairy Vicky said...

They look yummy, will they keep fresh until Easter?

Maria♥ said...

Vicky, I doubt my biscuits will last until then but they can be kept in an airtight container for 2-3 days.

Maria
x

Helen said...

Mmm, they sound lovely!

Caroline said...

They look lovely - I really like the more old fashioned English type of biscuit. Perfect for celebrating Easter.

Gloria Baker said...

MarĂ­a these look delicious! gloria

cocoa and coconut said...

I love all Easter baking, but I haven't ever come across something like this..which is great..I love finding new recipes! They are really pretty. I love their scalloped edges.

Unknown said...

I love Easter biscuits any time of year, so great with a cuppa. Also I love your Butter vs Margarine reasoning, genius. x

Pink Fairy Vicky said...

Ha ha ha! Yes I doubt mine will last that long but its nice to know how long they keep just incase, Thanks :-)

aforkfulofspaghetti said...

Nice to see a recipe for good old-fashioned biscuits, and not US-style cookies for once! :) These remind me of biscuits one of my grandmothers used to make - could even have been pretty much the same recipe. Fantastic with a cuppa!

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

I love these biscuits Maria! I must try them. Love that squiggly plate too!

Donna (Texas) said...

Ahhhhh, Maria! These look Delicious!
Happy Easter!
hughugs

Kitchens said...

This one is very yummy, and I think the biscuits is old one, but its nice in test, and they are really awesome.

Alison's Bakery said...

Just about to get a batch of these out of the oven. I've made them a few times over the years and they're always popular. I plan to place a stack of them in a gift bag tied with a ribbon to go in a little basket for my Mum and Dad's Easter gift ;-)

Anonymous said...

these were yum