Friday 16 May 2008

Baked Chicken with Cashew Nut Rice

Tonights meal consisted of oven baked seasoned chicken breast with an all time family favourite of cashew nut rice. This rice dish has so many wonderfully combined flavours, such as turmeric, ginger, coriander, cayenne pepper and lemon. What I love about making this dish is after an initial simmering of 15 minutes, the dish is finished off baked in the oven for 30 minutes, leaving me some time to sit back and catch up on blogging or the afternoon tv soaps. This rice is very versatile, personally I have used it as a stuffing for chicken, hot side dish and is just as nice served cold for a buffet/BBQ.

Cashew Nut Rice

Ingredients
2 tbsp olive oil (I only use 1 tbsp)
1 medium onion, chopped finely
1 medium red (bell) pepper, chopped finely
2 garlic cloves, crushed
125g/1/2 cup basmati rice
350ml/1 1/2 cups hot chicken stock
grated rind of 1/2 lemon
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 ground coriander
pinch of cayenne pepper
90g/1/2 cup salted cashew nuts

Heat the oil in a saucepan, add the onion, red pepper and garlic and cook gently for 4-5 minutes. Add the rice and stir to coat in the oil. Add the stock, bring to the boil, then simmer for 15 minutes until all the liquid is absorbed.

Transfer to a bowl and add the remaining ingredients to the rice. Season well. Spoon the rice into a greased ovenproof dish and cover with foil.

Bake in a preheated oven 190oC/375oF/Gas mark 5, for 30 minutes and serve.

16 comments:

Kelly-Jane said...

Cashews are my favourite nuts, we would really enjoy this rice, yum!

Ruth Strong said...

This is my kind of dish! Loving it!

Nickki said...

That looks so good Maria, I love dishes that you can just pop in the oven, giving you time to catch up on stuff! Cashews are my favourite nuts. xx

Maria♥ said...

Thanks everyone. You should all try this dish, it's really yummy!

Maria
x

JillyB said...

That rice looks lovely Maria!

Ms O said...

That looks incredibly delicious, Maria. :)

Lea x

Oh my! Apple pie! said...

Maria it looks and sounds delicious! I shall try this.

Anna's kitchen table said...

Maria, that looks sooo good!

Rosie said...

Oh my Maria what a gorgeous looking dish, a must try :)

Hugs Rosie x

Dee said...

This looks like my mum's 'yellow rice' from when we were kids. Yummy!

Mama Mia said...

I looove cashews! What a wonderful dish idea! Ive never had cashews in my rice before.

Maria♥ said...

Thanks for the lovely comments ;o)

Maria
x

Anonymous said...

That looks so good Maria. I love cashews but I bet the rice would work really well with other nuts too :)

Thinking About Food said...

I love the look of that rice Maria, I am going to have to try it!

Ivy said...

Maria this sounds so easy and healthy. It's been bookmarked as I am trying to cook healthier.

BTW, Ben and I are hosting a Food Event on "eating healthy stuff" so would be glad to see you participating with similar recipes, as well as your readers.

Anonymous said...

Looks yum, have copied recipe and will try this myself very soon. buntybear