Thursday 25 September 2008

Apple and Oat Crumble~British Food Fortnight Challenge!


Antonia from Food Glorious Food is doing a fantastic blog event from the 20th September till 5th October for British Food Fortnight to celebrate the diverse range of food that Britain produces. I couldn’t wait to take part in this event as I love any excuse to cook or bake, especially traditional British classics like the Apple and Oat Crumble I have chosen. Apple crumble is one of those puddings most of us were taught in Home Economics Class at school and has remained a favourite that evokes wonderful childhood memories for me. What I love about crumbles is how versatile they are, you can use any fruit in season or chopped nuts and spices to the crumble mix and are popular during the Autumn and Winter months. This morning the postie delivered Rachel Allen’s new book, Bake (gosh I love it when the postie delivers cookbooks, it’s the best). I did have planned to make another crumble but upon flicking through my new book I came across this recipe and decided to make this one instead. This was such an easy recipe to make and a great reason to use the Bramley apples my mother in law picked from the Bramley trees she has at her country lodge in Cambridge. The adding of the oats gives this crumble a nutty flavour and crunchy texture. You can serve this with ice cream or whipped cream but my choice and without a doubt the only thing you should serve with a crumble is hot luscious custard!

Apple and Oat Crumble

Serves 6

Ingredients
3-4 large cooking apples, peeled, cored and cut into big chunks
1 tbsp water
2-3 tbsp caster sugar

For the crumble
150g (5oz) plain flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon (optional)
75g (3oz) butter, chilled and cubed
25g (1oz) porridge oats
75g (3oz) soft light brown sugar

1 litre (1 ¾ pint) pie dish or six ramekins

Preheat the oven to 180oC (350oF), Gas mark 4.
Place the apples, water and sugar into a saucepan set over a gentle heat and cook, stirring every minute or so to prevent it sticking, for approximately 10 minutes or until the apples become a soft pulp. Taste and add more sugar if necessary. Transfer into the pie dish or six ramekins and allow to cool slightly.

Next, make the crumble. Place the flour and cinnamon (if using) in a large bowl, add the butter and, using your fingertips, rub it in until the mixture resembles very coarse breadcrumbs. (Don’t rub in too much or the crumble will not be crunchy). Add the oats and sugar and mix to combine, and bake for 15 minutes for small crumbles or 30-40 minutes for a large one until cooked and golden. Serve warm with custard, whipped cream or ice cream.


There' s nothing so yummy as a humble crumble!

12 comments:

Gayle said...

I may have to make this now Maria, instead of her Blueberry cheesecake!! Looks yummy, I have always used Rachel's crumble recipes but nout used oats in it before. Looks delicious!!

Ivy said...

Lovely recipe Maria. I should try this.

Finla said...

I have never made a crumble.
This looks delicious. I should once make a crumble,
that is in my to do list :-)

Hayley said...

*GASPS* NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!
You got yours before I got mine :(
You're just rubbing salt in the wounds posting this recipe :-P It does look lovely though...

Beth (jamandcream) said...

I haven't got mine yet!!! I think I accidently said group my delivery with Nigella Christmas which I means I wont get it for another two weeks!!!

Crumble is my all time fave pudding - and I have to have with custard

Maria said...

Your crumble looks so good. Perfect for fall, well really anytime! I would love it with vanilla bean ice cream! YUM!

Abitofafoodie said...

Crumble is such a favourite of mine, Maria. And apple really is the best, I think! Thank you so much for this excellent entry to the challenge.

Nickki said...

That looks so good Maria, I do love crumble, it's one of my all time favourite puddings :)

Kelly-Jane said...

Yummy :)

Nic said...

Oh yeah, a true Brit classic - thanks for the memory.

Rosie said...

This looks lovely Maria and what a great event :)

Rosie x

Emily said...

Made this today and it is so delicious!! I didn't have enough apples to fill my unknown size dish so I had to stew 2 more at the last minute! Great recipe though, will definitely be making this one again!!