Sunday 14 September 2008

Banana Butterscotch Mini Loaf Cakes

Today I decided to make my own recipe and at the same time use my new mini loaf tin that I bought a few months back. I was going to incorporate blueberries with banana but then remembered I had a big bag of butterscotch chips in the cupboard that would be the perfect combination and so my creation was born! These pale golden mini loaves were everything I was hoping for, they are moist, succulent and packed with that luscious distinctive butterscotch flavour. All in all these are delicious and my boys love them, so that makes me a happy baker ;o)

Banana Butterscotch Mini Loaf Cakes

Makes 5 to 6 mini loaf cakes

Ingredients
100g unsalted butter, softened
90g golden caster sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
130g self-raising flour
50g butterscotch chips
1 large banana

Preheat the oven to 180oC/fan oven 160oC. Lightly grease the tins.

Beat the butter until light. Add the sugar and beat till light and fluffy. Add one egg and sift 1 tbsp of flour. Mix in well. Add 2nd egg the same way and add 1 tsp vanilla and mix. Sift in the rest of the flour and mix well. Fold in the butterscotch chips. Cut the banana in slices. Fill the tins one third of the way up. Place slices (about 3) of banana in each tin and push down slightly. Cover each banana with the rest of the mixture. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Leave to cool in the tins for 5 minutes then turn out onto a cooling rack.

16 comments:

Ivy said...

These sound great. Never seen these mini tins before.

Beth (jamandcream) said...

These sound fantastic. I really need to get some butterscotch chips!! And the mini loaf tins - I'll need a bigger kitchen before long!

Anonymous said...

Those are too cute! I love the addition of butterscotch flavor with banana. What a great idea!

Reeni said...

Banana and butterscotch sounds truly divine together, YUM! I hope you will come visit my blog again and claim the award I have given you!

Nickki said...

Banana and butterscotch - YUM! I love those butterscotch chips! The mini loaves look adorable.

Tanya said...

Oh yum, what a unique combination. These look great!

Maria said...

Such cute loaves!! I love them!

Hayley said...

These look delicious, and what a yummy combination, but where do you find butterscotch chips??

I love the mini loaves, I've been dying to get the silicone mini loaf tins for aaaaages, think I have an excuse to now!

Maria♥ said...

Hi everyone and thanks so much for the lovely comments.

Reeni thanks so much for the award ;o)

Hayley I got my butterscotch chips sent over from the US by a friend. If you are in the UK you can buy these at ebay or I came across a website the other day that are based in the UK that sell american sweets.

Here is the link:
http://www.americansweets.co.uk/index.asp

Maria
x

Rosie said...

What beautiful mini loaves maria they look so cute :)

Rosie x

Bimmer said...

they look so cute and delicious!

Nic said...

Another comment here on the cuteness of these little wonders! LOVELY!!

Tina Butler said...

Those are to cute, and they look yummy. I love to make mini loaves to give in homebaked baskets at christmas. I will remember to come by and get the recipe.

Maria♥ said...

Thanks everyone ;o)

Maria
x

Deborah said...

I think I actually have some butterscotch chips at home! This sounds like such a great combination.

Jane Solloway said...

I didn't have butterscotch chips today so used fudge pieces. Sainsburys stock both now in their cake dept. Along with mini loaf cases.