Friday 26 September 2008

Sweet Potato and Pecan Bread

Yesterday morning the postie delivered Rachel Allen’s new book called Bake, and I could hardly wait to sit down in the evening and enjoy my new book. This book is wonderful, I love it, it’s packed full of recipes that make you want to get in the kitchen and bake! For me this is sign of a truly worthwhile book and one I know I will get plenty use of. So this morning I wasted no time in starting my mission to bake from my new book. This moist Sweet Potato and Pecan Bread is a delight with it's sweet yet spicy flavours of nutmeg, mixed spice and cinnamon. One bite and you’ll want more. This robust and luscious loaf is excellent and easy to love!

Sweet Potato and Pecan Bread

Serves 12

Ingredients
3 eggs
150ml (¼ pint) vegetable oil
200g (7oz) soft light brown sugar
300g (11oz) sweet potato, peeled and grated
100g (3 ½oz) pecans, chopped
180g (6 ½ oz) self-raising flour
Pinch of salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
½ tsp mixed spice

13 x 23cm (5 x9in) loaf tin

Preheat the oven to 150oC (300oF), Gas mark 2. Line the loaf tin with parchment paper.

Beat the eggs in a large bowl, then add the oil, sugar, grated sweet potato and chopped pecans. Sift in the dry ingredients and bring the mixture together using a wooden or metal spoon.

Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf tin, smooth the surface and bake in the oven for 1-1 ¼ hours or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.

Allow to cool in the tin for about 5 minutes before removing. Cool completely on a wire rack before serving.

Note:
You can use walnuts instead of pecans, if you like, or add raisins or other dried fruit.

15 comments:

Nickki said...

That sounds and looks absolutely delicious Maria, thanks so much
for giving us a "taster" from Rachel's new book!

I can't wait to get my copy (and Nigella's of course!) :)

Ivy said...

Have never eaten sweet potato, so don't know how it even tastes but it sure looks good.

Finla said...

In india we had sweet potatoes. We just boiled them and ate like that .
But i have never had them in cake

Maria♥ said...

Hi Nickki thanks so much sweetie and you will love this book. I can't wait for Nigella's to arrive next week! ;o)

Hi Ivy and Happy Cook, thanks for the lovely comments. This is my first time using Sweet Potato in baking, I've only ever used it before in soups or as a mash topping for a pie. You must try this in baking, its very much the same as using carrots in a cake but a tad sweeter. In America they use Sweet Potatoes in a lot of sweet dishes like pies etc.

Maria
x

Deborah said...

I love sweet potatoes, but never thought to have them in a bread like this! Delicious!

Maria said...

I love sweet potatoes! This bread looks divine! I will have to try them in bread soon!!

The Blonde Duck said...

I just stumbled across your blog from Lisa's. That bread looks divine! I love it!

The butter quote is hilarious too!

Reeni said...

What a lovely bread, your loaf looks perfect!

Tina Butler said...

Ummm Sweet Potato Bread is on of my favorites. Thanks for reminding me that i might need to make a loaf.

Anna's kitchen table said...

That looks so wonderfully moist and delicious!

Beth (jamandcream) said...

This looks fantastic - I wish my copy would hurry up!!

Hayley said...

Bake arrived this morning & my Amelie DVD but no Tana Ramsay : (

This looks really good, I probably wouldn't have baked it if you hadn't posted it but it sounds really nice!

Could you email me or leave your email address in a comment on my blog because I've got some books I can recommend you. I didn't want to write it in a comment or it'd take up too much space! xx

Kelly-Jane said...

Looks like a lovely loaf cake :)

Nic said...

Oh yum! Isn't it great when a new book arrives?

Rosie said...

Yum!! Omg this looks divine!!

Rosie x