Wednesday 17 September 2008

Blueberry and Apple Loaf Cake

Do you have a recipe that is a family favourite and one that you have made so many times you’ve lost count? Well I’d like to share this favourite tried and tested recipe with you. I’ve baked this so many times and is beyond a doubt a much-loved favourite with my hubby. This morning I decided to bake him this cake to have when he comes home from work this evening, his work schedule lately has been hectic and he's looking forward to a relaxing weekend. What better way to start than with some home-baked goodness! This loaf can only be described as a simple but delightfully delicious combination of blueberry and apple within a tender and crumbly sponge.


Blueberry and Apple Loaf Cake

Ingredients:
125g chilled butter, diced, plus extra for greasing
225g self-raising flour
175g golden caster sugar
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
2-3tbsp milk
2 large eating apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
125g blueberries
2 tbsp apricot jam (I used marmalade)

Preheat the oven to 190oC/fan 170oC/gas 5. Grease a 900g loaf tin and line with baking paper or a paper loaf tin liner. Sieve the flour into a food processor with a pinch of salt and add the butter. Whizz until it resembles breadcrumbs. Add the sugar, eggs and milk and whiz again to make a smooth mixture. Pour half the cake mixture into the loaf tin, then scatter with half the apples and half the blueberries. Pour over the remaining cake mixture, then scatter with the remaining fruit. Bake for 1 hour, or until risen and firm. To test it, insert a skewer into the centre- it should come out clean. Put the apricot jam into a small bowl and microwave the jam on high for 20 seconds to melt. Brush the glaze over the cake as soon as it comes out of the oven. Cool for 10 minutes in the tin, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.

13 comments:

Ivy said...

Maria, this looks wonderful and so moist inside.

Oh my! Apple pie! said...

This looks so good, I love the fruit adorning the top of the cake, it looks so moist too.

Finla said...

Your hubby is a lucky man to come home to such a delicious home made cake.
I have bookmarked this to make it.
Have a lovely weekend

Rosie said...

This has stayed one of my favourite recipes since you introduced me to it Maria.

It looks so scrummy, please any chance of a slice ;)

Rosie x

Anna's kitchen table said...

What a beautiful cake! I'd love a slice too please! :-)

Beth (jamandcream) said...

The topping looks great. Must try this one

Rosie said...

Hi Maria, I have an award waiting on my blog for you :)

http://rosiebakesapeaceofcake.blogspot.com/

Rosie x

Maria said...

thanks for sharing a favorite! Looks so delicious!

Reeni said...

This looks so tasty! I don't think I've ever combined apples and blueberries in my baking before. It's apple harvest time here and this is going on my 'to make' list!

Sweet Treats by Dani said...

i bet this is perfect with the apple :)

Maria♥ said...

Thanks everyone for the lovely comments, you make my day!

Maria
x

Moni said...

Oh the joy of finding a passionate baker! I love both blueberries and apples, so the loaf cake looks devine. As for the butter vs margarine- i trust cows :)

Maria said...

I made this for my friend's birthday in a round tin, didn't have apricot jam so used blueberry jam, served it straight from the oven and 'OH MY'! Definitely a goddess' recipe. Thank you thank you!!