Monday 10 May 2010

Apple Pie

I haven’t made an Apple Pie in yonks and thought it was high time I did, at the same time get to use my new Tala Pie Dish. I bought some Bramley apples a few weeks back which needed to be used pronto, so apple pie it was to be! The recipe for this actually came with the pie dish and seemed very easy and straight-forward, plus any recipe that asks for ready-made pastry gets my vote, I like the simple life sometimes. This pie really was a doddle to make, the only part which took some effort was rolling out the pastry (next time I am getting ready-rolled) but the rest was child’s play. It turned out great and I was really impressed with my new tin with the sliding arm for easy food release, with a clean cut. I couldn’t help and get a tad artistic and decorate the top with pastry letters. This apple pie is full of flavour and is best served with hot creamy custard!


Apple Pie

Serves 6
22cm dia-2.5cm deep pie dish

Ingredients
2-3 cooking apples, peeled, cored, and sliced 5mm thick
2-4 tbsp sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
500g shortcrust pastry
25g butter, cut into pieces
egg white or 1 tbsp cream
sugar, for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 200oC/180oC/gas 6. Butter the pie dish. Toss the apples in the sugar and cinnamon. Roll the pastry into two 30cm circles. Press one circle into the pie dish, letting the excess pastry overhang.

Pile the apple slices and their juices in the shell and dot with butter. Lay the other pastry sheet over the apples and seal the edges. Make slits in the pastry. Brush all over with the egg white and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 50-60 minutes until golden brown.

10 comments:

Lucie said...

oh my...what an apple pie! Looks lovely light and crisp pastry. Lashings of custard for me please :) Lucie x

Chele said...

Yum! Apple Pie is a fave of mine - ashamed to admit that I have never made one myself. Love the pastry letters too ... will need to go and buy some apples me thinks ;0)

Manu said...

I love apple pie. I'll give a try . . .Manu

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

I have wondered if those pie dishes were any good. I had my doubts, so it is good to know.

I love apple pie, haven't had it for ages though. I love your little finishing touch.

ps I used your cookie recipe again, it is such a fab one to change about. I am relying on the fact you said it was ok to blog it last time :)

Unknown said...

I haven't made my own pastry for ages. The ready-made stuff saves so much time.

I love fruit pies with hot sweet custard. Yum.

Beth (jamandcream) said...

You can't beat an apple pie -looks delicious Maria. I usually make crumble because I don't like faffing with pastry

Nickki said...

That looks amazing Maria, I love apple pie!

Kadeeae said...

That looks absolutely delish! Custard...ok, but Cornish vanilla ice cream - even better =)

Reeni said...

I was really craving apple pie this weekend. You must of read my mind! Looks delicious!

MaryMoh said...

Mmmm...lovely apple pie. Wonder who can resist it. I love to see all this chunky pieces of apples. Biting into them is just so good!