Wednesday 5 May 2010

Carrot Cake with Cinnamon Frosting

I had my parents staying over for the bank holiday weekend and it was lovely catching up with them. We didn’t do anything special as it was typical UK bank holiday weather (raining). Our time together was spent relaxing at home watching movies, playing poker, chilling in the garden (in-between bouts of rain) and eating good food. My parents are my biggest fans and love my cooking and baking, so I made sure they had something delish to eat every day.

I baked an Oreo Cheesecake and my favourite Toffee and Apple Crumble for desserts, which went down a storm. Unfortunately the cheesecake didn’t hang around long enough for me to take pics but it’s without doubt one I will bake again and blog about. I made this Carrot Cake after seeing it in this month’s Good Food magazine; the cinnamon frosting sounded and was amazing. I love carrot cake and this recipe ticked all the boxes and was loved by all. It’s definitely one I would make again and recommend with confidence!



Carrot Cake with Cinnamon Frosting

Ingredients
zest and juice 1 orange
50g sultanas
150ml sunflower oil, plus extra for greasing
2 large eggs
140g soft light brown sugar
85g wholemeal self-raising flour
85g self-raising flour
2 tsp ground mixed spice
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
140g carrots, coarsely grated
50g walnuts, chopped, plus a few halves to decorate

For the icing

200g soft cheese
50g butter, softened
85g icing sugar, sifted
Pinch ground cinnamon

If you have time to do it the night before, put the orange zest and juice in a bowl with the sultanas. If you don’t have time, on the day simply stir the zest, juice and sultanas together and microwave on Medium for 1-2 minutes.

Heat the oven to 180oc/160oC fan/gas 4 and grease and line the base and sides of a 2lb loaf tin. Whisk together the oil and eggs. Mix together the sugar, flours, mixed spice, cinnamon and bicarb in your largest mixing bowl. Add the sultanas with any juice and zest left in the bowl, grated carrot, walnuts and whisked egg mixture into the dry ingredients, then thoroughly mix with a wooden spoon. Tip into the loaf tin and bake on the middle shelf for 1 hour, or until a skewer comes out clean. Cool the cake in the tin.

Once cool, remove from the tin and make the icing. With an electric whisk, beat together the soft cheese, butter, icing sugar and cinnamon until smooth. Spread over the top of the cake and decorate with walnut halves.

19 comments:

Unknown said...

You've got a knack of making your foody pics look good enough to eat. This cake looks great.

This month's Good Food mag had some great things in it. Did you see the Buttermilk Scones? I made them yesterday and they were really tasty, not too sweet.

Nice to have you back blogging again.
x

Brownieville Girl said...

Cinnamon frosting sounds the business - must try this soon.

Cake_Girl said...

This looks fantastic, I really want to have a go at this recipe.

The photo looks good too.

Sweet Treats by Dani said...

this sounds and looks utterly amazing :)

The Wandering Pit said...

That carrot cake looks just delicious!I love cinnamon so this sounds like the perfect topping!

Lucie said...

I love the sound and look of this Maria. The frosting looks so delicious. Glad to hear you had such a good time with your Parents. Lucie x

Caroline said...

Looks like a lovely treat for a rainy afternoon, after all, what else can you expect for a bank holiday than rain ;-)

Beth (jamandcream) said...

yep got to make this

Diana's Cocina said...

How perfect! The cinnamon frosting is the perfect compliment to your creation!

Chele said...

That looks great - looks chock a block full of yummyness ;0)

Maggie said...

The cake looks and sounds delicious Maria. I too must make this.

Petit Filoux said...

Ooh I love carrot cake! This one does look good!

Finla said...

Such a beautiful cake, love the cinamon frosting on top.

Reeni said...

My Dad has been hinting about Carrot Cake! This looks like a delicious one to make for him! Sounds like you had a lovely visit.

Choclette said...

What a delicious looking loaf and am feeling especially tempted by the cinnamon frosting.

Sarah said...

Carrot cake has to be one of my favourite cakes! I have never tried it with cinnamon icing though- next time! Thanks for sharing.

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

Lucky mum and dad, that's all I can say :)

feline friend said...

Hi. I'm going to be baking the carrot cake with cinnamon icing this weekend. I've already done the coffee and walnut cake a few times and made the banana and honey tea loaf last weekend. Both were amazing.

Don't suppose you've got any good recipes for key lime pie have you?

x

Maria♥ said...

Hi Ashley

How lovely that you've tried out some of the recipes I've blogged about! You must let me know how the carrot cake turned out ;o) This is a great carrot cake recipe and the cinnamon frosting makes it extra special.

I've never made a real Key Lime Pie but I did make this once which is similar and really easy to make.

http://thegoddesskitchen.blogspot.com/2008/05/biscuity-lime-pie.html

Maria
x