Saturday 8 May 2010

Chocolate & Caramel Flapjacks

I can’t believe I have open fire’s going in May but the weather has been wet and miserable this weekend, providing a perfect opportunity to do some baking! I’ve loved the section “Baking for a Fête” in this month’s Good Food magazine and couldn’t wait to make the Chocolate & Caramel Flapjacks. The recipe is very similar to Millionaires Shortbread but instead of a shortbread base these have a flapjack base, making them lovely and chewy. They are really simple to make, the hardest part being waiting for each stage to cool, chill and set. My hubby couldn’t wait to get his teeth into one of these babies and described them as naughty but absolutely amazing! Word of warning though, when cutting these into squares, its a messy job which entails having to lick fingers many times!!


Chocolate & Caramel Flapjacks

Ingredients
200g soft brown sugar
200g butter, plus extra for greasing
2 tbsp golden syrup
350g whole oats
397g can caramel (I used Carnation Caramel)
200g plain chocolate
1 tbsp unflavoured oil, like sunflower

Heat the oven to 150oC/130oC fan/gas 2. Place the sugar, butter and golden syrup together in a saucepan and gently heat until butter is melted, stirring occasionally. Take the saucepan off the heat and stir in the oats, mixing thoroughly. Pour the mixture into a line and lightly greased 22cm square tin, pressing it out evenly using the back of a wooden spoon. Bake in the centre of the oven for 40-45 mins.

Allow the mixture to cool in the tin for 10 min (or best results, leave to cool completely overnight), then evenly spread over the caramel. Chill until firm.

Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of barely simmering water, then stir in the oil and pour over the chilled caramel flapjack base. Let the chocolate set, then cut into squares.

18 comments:

Petit Filoux said...

Oh. My.
I think I've put ten pounds on just looking at those!!

Unknown said...

Yummy scrummy.
It's that caramel that does it for me everytime - I love the stuff, so the licking of fingers won't be a problem for me :0)

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

I'll have to go out and buy the magazine, these look lush!

Snooky doodle said...

oh these look yummy. I just made some millionaire shortbread. Next time I ll make these :)

Caroline said...

They look really good Maria. I spotted them in the mag and put them on my to-bake list. Good to know they turn out well!

Sarah said...

scrummy...i love caramel slice, this looks like a slightly healthier version i.e. less guilt!hehe. I like !

The Caked Crusader said...

How lovely - this is like millionaire's shortbread but with a more calorific twist! I salute you!

Nickki said...

Oh wow Maria, they look absolutely divine! My boys would love these! I forgot to buy the new issue of Good Food Magazine, I'll have to go out and buy it later :-)

Lucie said...

These look fabulous Maria! As usual your baking has my mouth watering. Have a nice day honey x

Kate said...

these look really tasty :) and thanks for the add! :)

The Wandering Pit said...

Two words: Absolutely delicious! I used to love caramel squares and I bet with a flapjack bottom, they´re just as good if not better!

LPATRI11 said...

These look amazing! Three of my favourites - chocolate, caramel and oats in one product - yummy!

Laurax

Chele said...

Oooooooooooooooooooooooh they look so good I've gained 10 pounds just staring at the picture!

Brownieville Girl said...

These are my flapjacks of the future - really looking forward to trying this recipe!

Beth (jamandcream) said...

I've bookmarked these - they look fab

Lisa said...

Wow, these look amazing, like a healthy millionaire's shortbread. ;D Will be adding these to the must make list. x

Sarah said...

Hi Maria,
I hope you are well. I was sorry to hear about the loss of your good friend.
I'm just attempting to make this and am concerned because my flapjack base seems quite hard. Is this wrong? I have to admit it had 55mins (by accident) and I didn't check at 45mins. I don't want to break anyones teeth!
I hope you don't mind me asking and intruding at what must be a difficult time for you.
xx :0)

Anonymous said...

I stumbled across your recipe this morning, following a google search for chocolate and caramel flapjacks. Wonderful recipe! They have turned out just perfectly. Thank you for posting it in the first place!