Wednesday 12 May 2010

Banana Breakfast Ring

Looking for another recipe to use up those ripe bananas? Look no further! You have to try this Banana Breakfast Ring from Nigella Lawson’s book Feast. This recipe couldn’t be more easy and quick; all you need is a bowl and fork or for more ease a mixer (I used my trusty and beloved kitchenaid). This plain pale cake makes for the perfect breakfast, especially eaten whilst still warm with some maple syrup drizzled over or smeared with lashings of nutella.

Banana Breakfast Ring

Ingredients
450g (3 medium) bananas
60ml corn oil or other oil
3 eggs
zest and juice of ½ lemon
1 tsp real vanilla extract
200g caster sugar
325g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda

Preheat the oven to 180C and oil a 24cm, 1.5 litre ring mould. (I used my silicone Bundt pan)
Mash the bananas, and add the oil, eggs, lemon juice and zest, vanilla and sugar. Whisk everything together and then fold in the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda. Pour into the oiled tin and bake for 40 minutes. Let the ring sit for about 5-10 minutes before turning it out.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank goodness I'd just finished eating my tea before I read your post today. It sounds delicious, and I think the mention of Maple Syrup and Nutella would have just tipped me over the edge.

Jill x

Chele said...

Going to have to get myself a ring baking tin hehehe

Reeni said...

I happen to have bananas that need using up and company coming this weekend! This is perfect - sounds so delicious with Nutella!

The Girl said...

Oh my god that sounds so good! Definitely need to give this a try, I made my first banana based baking product (try saying that 3 times quickly!) the other week and it was the Banana and Honey Teabread you had on here - oh. my. god. So good!

I do have a WW related question - do you sit and work out how many points are in the things you make?! Or is that too scary to contemplate?! And I am aptly demonstrating the chance of becoming points obsessed like you pointed out in your comment!

Lucie said...

mmmm Maria this looks wonderful, sounds delicious - such a lovely cake shape! Lucie xx

Brownieville Girl said...

I love banana bread recipes without dried fruit - haven't tried this one yet. Have to start willing my bowl of bananas to go black!!!

Lisa said...

I had no idea that recipe was so easy! I have a freezer full of overripe bananas so will put them to good use this weekend. Yours looks delicious! x

Anonymous said...

Hi Maria. I have been following your blog for quite a while and it's really lovely. Today I just had to leave a comment as lately we seem to have made the same things from Good Food Magazine. Tuning in today, I see you have posted Nigella's breakfast banana ring - the very same currently baking in my oven! I reduced the amount of sugar with about 80g so that I can pretend it is OK to eat more of it :)

Looking forward to more posts.

Have a great day.

M.

Maria♥ said...

Thanks everyone for all your lovely comments.

Hi M
How lovely to hear from you and thanks for your kind words. This is the other part I love about blogging, receiving feedback and knowing that people are enjoying my blog, so you've made my day!! Looking forward to hearing from you again.

Maria
x

Petit Filoux said...

Looks yummy!!

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

I really must buy a bundt tin. I have seen so many yummy recipes recently using them, including this one. It just looks so good :)

Sarah Shell said...

I love this cake...I've lost my copy of Feast..so was glad to find this on the 'net...a "tweak" I do sometimes is to increase the number of bananas - the more over-ripe the better!- and put the juice of an orange, or a big dollop of low-fat yoghurt in it..and decrease the sugar. I find lots of Nigella's recipes have far too much sugar in them. I know this is for texture, rather than sweetness...but 200g of sugar in a breakfast product> Too much for me to give to my girls...I often halve it, if making for breakfast.
Sarah x