Thursday 8 July 2010

Chicken, Courgette and Lemon Pasta

Yesterday during one of my regular visits around the blogs I love to frequent, I came across this amazing looking recipe on Lucie’s blog; Cooking at Marystow (a gorgeous blog, definitely worth a visit). It was love at first sight and even more so because it ticked all the boxes in my healthy eating quest. I couldn’t wait to make this and today while in town I popped into Waitrose to pick up the ingredients, along with a bagful of pink kitchen goodies from TK Maxx that I couldn’t resist (that shop is dangerous for my bank balance).

This recipe is pretty straight-forward and spending the time at the start to prepare all the ingredients (measuring, chopping and grating) will make life easier during the assembly stages. Which means, within 10 minutes of preparing the ingredients you will be enjoying the results of you labour. This recipe was everything I imagined it to be, absolutely delicious, light & full of flavour and the perfect meal for a summer’s evening. This is one pasta dish I will definitely be making again. Thanks Lucie for sharing this wonderful recipe.



Chicken, Courgette and Lemon Pasta

Serves 4 (I halved the recipe for 2)

Ingredients
4 large Portabello mushrooms ( I used normal mushrooms as I don’t like the Portobello ones)
350g dried linguine
300g courgette, grated
300ml low fat crème fraîche
200ml low fat Greek yoghurt
1 large free-range egg yolk
35g Parmesan cheese
Zest of 1 unwaxed lemon
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
250g cold roast chicken, shredded
A small bunch of fresh chives, snipped

Heat a pan and spritz in a few spritzes of olive oil. Fry the mushrooms then remove from the pan and set aside. Fry the grated courgette for a couple of minutes. Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil and cook the pasta according to the instructions on the packet, but cook it for a minute or two less so it's a little underdone.

Meanwhile mix together the crème fraîche, yoghurt, egg yolk, Parmesan, lemon zest, salt and pepper.

Drain the cooked pasta, leaving a few tablespoons of water in the bottom of the pan. Return the pan to a low heat and pour in the sauce.

Toss the pasta in the sauce, then add the roast chicken and chives, giving it all a good mix round until it’s evenly incorporated

12 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't normally do courgette, but all the other ingredients might tempt me to try this. I love pasta and chicken combos. My favourite at the minute (which I can't stop making) is so unhealthy that I couldn't possibly post the recipe on my blog - I'd get lynched by all my visitors. Basically I sautee leeks in butter, add rather too much crushed garlic, throw in some chicken, which I've cut up, then add some Philadelphia cheese and then Parmasen and black pepper. It's like a heart attack in a bowl isn't it? I am so naughy (now you know the reason for the large arse. Perhaps I should consider using Philadelphia Light - what do you think?????
PS - you won't tell anyone will you? Thanks x

Brownieville Girl said...

That sounds like a perfect dinner.

Would love to know what the pink goodies were!!

Lynda said...

I could make this with quorn pieces instead of chicken - many thanks ;0)

Chele said...

I saved thia one when Lucie posted it too! Looks fantastic, the perfect summer dinner.

busygran said...

Make a good meal. This I got to share with my daughters. They are 'pasta' people.:)

Lucie said...

Yours looks delicious Maria. I am so glad you enjoyed it. Thank you for the kind mention. Love Lucie x

Anonymous said...

That does look good- anything with lemon and courgette in seems summery to me! I saw it on Lucie's blog too, it's such a good idea to use crème fraîche in the sauce-I think I actually prefer it now to cream.
And TKMaxx- LOL I'm with you on that one. Bags for me, EVERY. TIME.

Mary Bergfeld said...

Maria, this is a really lovely recipe that I'll be trying soon. I'm new to your
blog and have spent some time reading your earlier posts. I really love your recipes and will be back often to see what you've been cooking. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

The Curious Cat said...

Yum! This sounds wicked! Was looking for some inspiration and this sounds divine! xxx

JillyB said...

That sounds so light and refreshing. I'm saving the recipe for our warmer weather!

Finla said...

I love courgettes and hubby too, just wish daughter loved them too. Thie pasta looks creamy yummy.

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

Mmmmmmmm, this sounds lovely. Clever Lucie! I am going to try it without the chicken. I think it will still be delicious :)