Sunday 11 July 2010

One-Pot Lemon Chicken with Thyme Rice

Today I got the greatest surprise. My best friend whom I haven’t seen in 5 years since she moved to Barbados conspired with my hubby to pay a surprise visit. We had a lovely afternoon/evening catching up and it was so wonderful to see my good friend again, I've really missed her. I didn’t want her to leave but we will catch up again during the week before she returns.

Still unaware of the impending visit I had planned to try out this One-Pot Lemon Chicken with Thyme Rice recipe which I had book-marked from Fay’s Family Food cookbook. I made this for lunch and my son and his girlfriend (typical teenagers that don’t appreciate good food) didn’t like it so there was plenty of left-over’s. It worked out great as it gave me a lovely meal to offer my friend without taking me away from catching up. We all really enjoyed this meal and were in agreement that it’s a casserole full of flavour.



One-Pot Lemon Chicken with Thyme Rice

Serves 4 adults

Ingredients
6 chicken pieces (thighs and breasts work well)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
150g pack Italian pancetta cubes
2 large garlic cloves
280g brown basmati rice (I didn't have brown so I used white)
700ml chicken stock
Juice and zest of 1 ½ lemons (unwaxed)
2-3 bushy sprigs thyme
250g frozen broad beans (a couple of handfuls)
Freshly ground black pepper

4 litre ovenproof casserole dish, with lid

Set the oven at 200oc fan/220oc/gas mark 7. In your casserole dish, brown the chicken pieces in a little olive oil. Remove and set aside.

In the same oil, fry the onion and pancetta for a couple of minutes. Then crush the garlic and add. Keep stirring for a minute, being careful not to burn the garlic.

Put the rice in and stir to coat.

Add the stock, lemon juice and zest, thyme, the broad beans and a twist of black pepper.

Bring to the boil, then pop the chicken pieces on top. Put a lid on and stick in the oven for 50 minutes.

Serve straight from your dish. Season on your plate.

9 comments:

Nora said...

That looks scrumptious - and one pot is always a winner. (Though I bet I could still make a huge mess in the kitchen...) And what a lovely surprise!!

Michelle Burgess said...

That Chicken looks absolutely delicious. I HAVE to try this.

busygran said...

Yummy! I love one-dish meal, they are so easy to prepare. I'll probably have to spice it up. Wonder if it will affect the original taste?

Unknown said...

Sounds very tasty, and one-pot too, which is always a winner (I hate washing up, but somehow seem to use every single pot and pan whenever I make anything).

Jill x

Beth (jamandcream) said...

love the look of this. need that book

Lucie said...

I love the sound of this Maria. I had to laugh that the teens didn't like it :) I was the same at that age (I liked pot noodles - say no more!!) How wonderful to have such a nice surprise - so sweet! Love Lucie x

Chele said...

What a nice surprise to throw your way - the world just seems to be full of nice surprises at the moment!
Lovely looking casserole. I may need to steal this recipe ...

Carol Egbert said...

One pot meals are great particularly if I have to wash the dishes. Thanks for great recipe.

cocoa and coconut said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you...One-pot meals are my absolute favourite!! I'm bookmarking this to mark in the coming weeks. You use all my favourite ingredients, ah how fantastic.