Wednesday 19 March 2008

Easter Biscuits

I am starting the Easter festivities with these Easter Biscuits, I’ve never made them up until today and I will definitely be making them again. The biscuits were so easy and quick to make, a lightly spiced, currant-studded, soft biscuit with a sugary crunch. These biscuits traditionally are served after church on Easter Sunday, and are presented in a bundle of three biscuits to represent the Holy Trinity. I will be serving mine with a pot of hot tea. The perfect mid-afternoon biscuit!

Easter Biscuits

Prep: 20 min Cook: 15 min
Makes 10-15

Ingredients
100g butter
80g caster sugar
1 egg yolk
150g plain flour
½ tsp baking powder
1tsp mixed spice
100g currants
1 extra tbsp caster sugar


To make the biscuits, heat the oven to 170C/Gas 3.

With an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolk. Sift together the flour, baking powder and mixed spice.

Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, mixing well with a knife. Mix in the currants, squishing the dough together and kneading briefly until smooth, allowing the warmth of your hands to soften it.

Roll out finely on a lightly floured bench (best done under a sheet of clingfilm) and cut into 6cm or 8cm rounds with a plain or fluted biscuit-cutter.

Place on a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper, and sprinkle with caster sugar. Bake for 12 to 15 min until just cooked, but not browned.

Carefully transfer to a wire rack — the biscuits should still be a little soft but will become crisp as they cool.

11 comments:

Alex said...

These look really similar to the Easter biscuits I made last year (and had forgotten all about).

Thanks for reminding me!

Ruth Strong said...

Wow, these look great!

I'd never heard of this tradition either! May just have to start it myself

Jules said...

These look yummy and perfect with a cup of tea.
I used to always make these when I was younger. I already have all the ingredients in the cupboard and try and make them this weekend.

Maria♥ said...

Hi Alex

Your welcome and thanks for dropping by my blog.

Hi Ruth

Thanks sweetie ;o)

Hi Jules

Thanks. I've sampled one with a cuppa this afternoon and it was perfect! I hope you get round to making them too ;o)

Maria
x

Rosie said...

Oh what great Easter biscuits Maria! Just loving the recipe and a must bake!! Thanks for sharing :D

Rosie x

Maria♥ said...

Hi Rosie

Thanks sweetie. So lovely to see you back on the blog world ;o)

These biscuits are really great.

Maria
x

Anna said...

Ooh, I could just eat one of these now, dunked in some tea (actually now I really want a cup of tea lol). They look great!

Maria♥ said...

Thanks Indigo ;o)

Maria
x

Pixie said...

Shame on me for not making anything for easter- i need to get myself into the kitchen today and start baking but I'm too tired!!

Roasted red hummus:
http://ellesnewenglandkitchen.blogspot.com/2008/03/roasted-red-pepper-hummus.html
(if you can't read it link is on my hummus post!)

Anonymous said...

These look to me like a true traditional 'tea cake.' I want to make these for the family cookie jar..I'm sure they won't last long. I hope to get more baking done with the kids home next week! Thanks so much for posting the recipe!
Love,
Patty
xoxo

Maria♥ said...

Hi Patty

Thank you ;o)

Maria
x