Friday 7 March 2008

Raspberry and Almond Madeira Cake

At weekends I tend to bake a big affair of a cake, whether it be a chocolate cake or a layered cake with lashings of frosting. But considering I had baked the Chocolate Cake this week, I decided that I would opt for a simple cake for this weekend. Plus Easter is a few weeks away and we will be having chocolate coming out of our ears! I had some raspberries in the fridge, and I remembered a recipe in my Good Food 101 Cakes and Bakes I had book marked for the right occasion, which was today! This cake may be simple but let me tell you it is one gorgeous cake! The raspberries and almond are a wonderful pairing, with the added orange zest that brings out the flavours beautifully. The sponge is really moist, fluffy and with every bite you take you come across the crunchy crumbled almonds within. I’m not sure my son will go wild for this cake, his a typical teenager and prefers his chocolate cakes but he might surprise me yet! I know hubby will love it, but then again he loves everything I bake! His definitely my No1 fan ;o)


10 comments:

MrsB said...

yum yum what a great cake, it's such a good little book isn't it! I love all the cakes and stuff in there!

Maria♥ said...

Hi Mrs B

Thanks sweetie. I agree, it is a good little book and lots of wonderful cakes and bakes ;o)

Maria
x

Rosie said...

Oh what a lovely cake Maria!! Raspberries and almonds make a fantastic combo - I love this little book too so many great recipes :)

Rosie x

Finla said...

When i saw the pic even without reading your post i knew from whick book you had made them.
I have the same book too .
Your cake looks exactly like in the book.
Delicious

Maria♥ said...

Hi Rosie

Thanks and yes it's a fantastic book.

Hi Happy Cook

Thanks for the lovely comment. It seems this book is really popular but it's definitely a book every baker should have in their collection.

Maria
x

pistachio said...

Hi Maria, I'm so happy to have found your wonderful blog. I'm really looking forward to reading it from the very beginning.

pi xxx

Swati said...

Lovely description to the cake ...Beautiful and delicious cake as always!!

Maria♥ said...

Hi Pi, thanks and welcome to my blog.

Hi swati

Thanks for the lovely comment, especially coming from such a talented baker as yourself ;o)

Maria
x

Anonymous said...

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm WOW...I like the look of this cake.

Love Hevz xxx

Miss Bish said...

Hi Maria,
I came across your blog when I typed the name of this cake... You see I follow the recipe in the little book, but my cake ends up really stodgy! It has a consistency not dissimilar to brownies (ie. really compact), which I personally like, but I assume it ought to be fluffy like a normal sponge. What am I doing wrong?? Or rather, what are you doing right?

Patricia