Thursday 6 March 2008

Soft Baked Chocolate Chunk Cookies

Here is another cookie treat today, I'm definitely on a cookie kick at the moment and thoroughly enjoying it. Cookies are one of the fastest and easiest things to make and these were absolutely that. These Soft Baked Chocolate Chunk Cookies are for those of you who love soft and chewy, rather than crisp cookies. The secret to these soft baked cookies is to use melted instead of softened butter, which gives them that soft texture. These cookies are best served with a glass of ice cold milk!


Soft Baked Chocolate Chunk Cookies

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 baking soda
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
1 cup of firmly packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
10 ounces bittersweet chocolate, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
2/3 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)

Preheat the oven to 350oF/160oC. Line 2 baking sheets with baking parchment.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and baking soda.

In a large bowl, whisk the melted butter and sugar. Whisk in the eggs, one at a time, until well blended. Whisk in the vanilla. Using a wooden spoon, stir in the dry ingredients until combined. Stir in the chocolate and walnuts (if using).

Using an ice cream scoop or a spoon, drop the dough onto the prepared baking sheets, spacing them 2 inches apart. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes (but check them after 9 to 12 minutes), until the cookies are just brown around the edges. The centre of the cookies should be soft and slightly puffy. Let the cookies cool completely on the baking sheets or a wire rack.

The recipe is from The Good Cookie by Tish Boyle

12 comments:

Finla said...

Yumm That is indeed a stack of cookies.
The chocolate cake you made is it from the New delicious magazine?
Or from which month is it.
I buy sometime the magazine not every month. Here it is in Dutch language, so i don't know if it is the same one.

Rosie said...

Keep them rolling in sweetie loving your cookie posts and these look SO tempting I just want to bite into one Maria :) Another great bake with chocolate - yum!!

Rosie x

Maria♥ said...

Hi Happy Cook

Thanks for the lovely comments. The chocolate cake features in this month's (April) Delicious magazine but if it's any help the recipe is from Nigella Lawson's Feast cookbook! If all else fails I would be more than happy to email you the recipe ;o)

Hi Rosie

Thanks mate! These cookies are toooo good and you would definitely want to bite into them!

Maria
x

Ruth Strong said...

I made cookies last night! If I'd known you were going to be blogging a recipe today I would have waited! These look so yummy.

Maria♥ said...

Awe Ruth your too sweet. If you like I can pass the recipe on for you to try some other time. Trust me you want to make these, they are so good!

Let me know.
Maria
x

Maria♥ said...

Ruth I have added the recipe to the post for you, and for anyone who would also like to make these cookies ;o)

Maria
x

Ruth Strong said...

Awww thank you Maria! you're so lovely! Once we get these cookies all nibbled I'll give your recipe a go.... mine turned out quite cake like, I think cos I used medium sized eggs instead of large :-S

Gigi said...

Oh, how I love chocolate chip cookies! I try not to make them very often because I will eat them all. Your cookies look so good!

Finla said...

Thankyou for the reply maria, i wll buy the April Delicious issue, here we can't see theinside of the magazine as it is covered in plastic .
If the recipe is not in that, i will inform you so you can mail me the recipe

Ruth Strong said...

Just blogged about this recipe as my bookmarked recipe for the week! Loved it! Thank you

Anonymous said...

Mmmm, i've been wanting to make soft cookie-type biscuits for ages and this recipe looks smashing. Pity it's in American measurements though! Don't fancy putting it up in grammes/ounces and miililitres/fluid ounces, do you...?

Anonymous said...

Just put these in the oven! The recipe doesn't say, but I'm guessing it's 1/2 tsp of the baking soda? That's what I used. Can't wait to try them!