Monday 4 August 2008

Blueberry and Orange Muffins

The weather has been slightly cooler today so I thought I’d take advantage and do some baking (a hot kitchen is not always a pleasant place to be during summer). My local store had organic blueberries on special offer, I love a bargain and blueberries are a favourite in my home. I decided to make a batch of muffins, which my hubby adores at any time of the day! This particular recipe combines the blueberries with orange zest adding a welcome orangey zing, perfect for a summer breakfast, mid-morning snack, lunch dessert, mid-afternoon snack, evening snack and midnight feast snack.....see I told you hubby will eat them at any time, any place! (And then he moans about his expanding waist line...lol).



Blueberry and Orange Muffins

Makes 12 standard muffins

Ingredients

2 cups (10 oz/315g self-raising flour

1/2 cup (4 oz/125g) superfine (caster) sugar

1 egg, beaten

1 cup (8 fl oz/250ml) milk

1/4 cup (2 oz/60g) butter, melted

1 tablespoon grated orange zest

3/4 cup (6 oz/185g) fresh or frozen blueberries

Preheat the oven to 400oF (200oc/180oC fan/gas mark 5). Grease 12 standard muffin cups or line them with parchment (baking) paper cases. In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour. Stir through the sugar. Make a well in the center. In another bowl, stir together the egg, milk and butter. Add all at once to the flour mixture along with the orange zest and blueberries. Stir until just moistened (the mixture should be lumpy). Spoon the batter into prepared pans, filling them two-thirds full. Bake until golden brown, about 15-20 minutes. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack.

8 comments:

Sarah said...

They look delicious! Where's the recipe from?

Sarah x

Maria♥ said...

Hi Sarah

Thanks for the lovely comment. This recipe is from The Muffin Book. I will be writing and adding the recipe to the post later on today ;o)

Maria
x

Deborah said...

Haha! My husband is the same way - he'll eat a ton of the things I make and then complain about his waist. It's not like I'm forcing him to eat sweets!! These muffins sound delicious.

Maggie said...

We love blueberry muffins.
I'm lucky enough to have two blueberry bushes in my garden and will give this recipe a go.

Beth (jamandcream) said...

Lovely, blueberry muffins my family fave. Out of interest I notice you use a lot of american recipes - so you convert the recipes to grams or do you have an american cup?! There are loads of recipes I'd like to try but its very difficult converting cups to grams e.g one cup sugar will be different weight to 1 cup of blueberries etc

Maria♥ said...

Hi everyone

Thanks for the kind comments.

Beth I have a set of stainless steel american cups which I actually purchased in Ikea. It makes life very easy when using american recipes, the only thing I need to convert is the butter measurements but there are many conversion sites online. Hope this helps ;o)

Maria
x

Rosie said...

They really do look delicious sweetie - care to pass one over *giggle*

Rosie x

Beth (jamandcream) said...

Thanks maria. I have just purchased a measuring jug with American cup measurements on the side