Sunday 5 September 2010

Chocolate Banana Muffins

As promised here is another instalment from Nigella Kitchen. Over the weekend my son and his girlfriend came to stay, as predicted the cookies were a big hit and didn’t last long. On Sunday morning I woke up early to bake these quick Chocolate Banana Muffins for the greedy cookie monsters, the perfect excuse to bake something else from my lovely new cookbook. These dark and moist muffins are at their best straight out of the oven while they are still warm for a perfect weekend breakfast indulgence!


Chocolate Banana Muffins

Makes 12

Ingredients
3 ripe or overripe bananas
125ml vegetable oil
2 eggs
100g soft light brown sugar
225g plain flour
3 x 15ml tablespoons best-quality cocoa powder, sifted
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda

Preheat the oven to 200oC/fan 180oC/gas mark 6 and line a muffin tin with muffin cases. Mash the bananas by hand or with a freestanding mixer.

Still beating and mashing, add the oil followed by the eggs and sugar.

Mix the flour, cocoa powder and bicarbonate of soda together and add this mixture, beating gently, to the banana mixture, then spoon it into the prepared muffin cases.

Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, by which time the muffins should be dark, rounded and peeking proudly out of their cases. Allow to cool slightly in their tin before removing to a wire rack.


Pic of my son Jake and his girlfriend Sophie aka the cookie monsters!

17 comments:

Unknown said...

oh wow - I bet these smelled amazing whilst they were cooking too. Violet would love these. Thanks for testing them out for us all - it must be really hard work :0)

Jill x

Maggie said...

I've just made these too Maria - they are really light. Yours look lovely.

Gloria Baker said...

OMG MarĂ­a, these muffins really look amazing, and I love they have bananas! xx gloria

Chele said...

Chocolate for breakfast?!?!?!? Sign me up!

Nic's Notebook said...

Oh yum these sound great! You spoil your son rotten!! Hope he appreciates it :)

Nora said...

Mmmm, these look lovely. I love the chocolate banana combo. I think it might be time I went shopping for that book...!

Helen said...

These look lovely - banana and chocolate is such a great combination.

Lucie said...

Adorable muffins and such a sweet couple. These look so good Maria!

Victoria said...

I love banana breads and banana muffins! Especially when there are chocolate in the recipe :) The chocolate-banana match is always winner!

Heather said...

I love a muffin - if I make a half portion of these I can get enough to last me for a week's breakfast at work. Very nice couple!

busygran said...

Chocolate and bananas are my favourites to eat and to bake with.
And this combo is great - the best of both worlds!

Cats_cupcakes said...

I have just bought this book..isnt it fab? So many good recipes in it! These look really good!

Cats_cupcakes said...

I have just bought this book..isnt it fab?! So many good recipes in it. These look really good!

Kelly-Jane said...

They look gorgeous. Cookies too, and your bake from Lotte's book - which I love as well! :)

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog & think it is really great - I too am addicted to cookbooks! I don't know whether you are interested, but I would like to send you a delivery of TOTAL Greek Yoghurt, all variants, so that you can experiment with it and blog about your findings? It is 100% natural and free from artificial additives and preservatives with a mild flavour than can be versatile for sweet and savoury recipes. Perhaps you can come back to me if interested email me julie@trafficpartners.co.uk

karen said...

I just ordered this book today but couldn't wait for it to arrive to try baking these ... then I found your page! thanks! they are cooking now and smell delicious!
Karen

Nana said...

I made these last night and they tasted yummy. ^^ The texture and taste reminds me a lot of banana bread, actually. Though, I couldn't really taste much of the chocolate, probably because the banana was too overpowering. (I live in a tropical country, so our bananas are probably a bit too flavourful) The next time I make them, I'll add a bit more cocoa powder, or some chocolate chips for an extra choco-kick. ^^

Thanks so much for sharing. =)