Wednesday 15 September 2010

Coconut and Cherry Banana Bread

I’m going to keep this post short and sweet as I’m not feeling too great today but I felt the need to blog my latest creation from Nigella Kitchen. We had a lovely weekend at the lodge and bought back lots of handpicked produce. Blackberries from the clearing in the woods, apples and damsons from the garden.

Hubby left for Madrid on Monday and was back last night so I kept myself busy in his absence making blackberry and apple jam, damson jam and this Coconut and Cherry Banana Bread. This has been another roaring success from the book, even with the unusual combination of coconut, cherry and banana, which I would never have thought to put together. It actually works beautifully and hubby was more than happy to arrive back to a slice of this home-baked goodness!



Coconut and Cherry Banana Bread

Ingredients
125g soft unsalted butter
4 small-medium bananas
150g caster sugar
2 eggs
175g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
100g dried cherries
100g desiccated coconut

1 x 900g (2lb) loaf tin

Preheat the oven to 170oC/fan oven 150oC/gas mark 3. Put a loaf liner into your tin, or line the bottom of the tin with baking parchment and grease the sides.

Melt the butter in a saucepan, and take it off the heat. Peel and mash the bananas in another bowl.

Beat the sugar into the cooled, melted butter, then beat in the mashed bananas and the eggs. Fold in the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda. Finally, add the dried cherries and coconut.

Fold well so that everything is incorporated, then pour and scrape into the lined loaf tin and smooth the top.

Bake for about 50 minutes, but start checking after 45. When ready, the bread will be coming away from the sides of the tin and feel quite heartily bouncy on top.

Once of the oven, leave it in the tin for 10 minutes. Then carefully slip the cake out of the tin (still in the liner) onto a wire rack to cool.

11 comments:

Lucie said...

Aw, sorry to hear you're not feeling great. Hope you'll feel better in the morning.

This looks sooooo yum, as you say an unusual combination of great flavours. Hugs Lucie xx

Victoria said...

I make a similar banana bread recipe but without the dried cherries. Next time, I will try your recipe!

Laura said...

That looks wonderful! Thank you for taking the time to post. I hope you're feeling better!
Laura

Rhyleysgranny said...

That looks lovely Maria. Hope you are feeling better. Are you liking Kitchen?

Petit Filoux said...

it sound rather unusual but if Nigella says it works, then who are we to say otherwise!! I'm tempted to get this book...

natalia said...

Ciao Maria ! I hope you fell better already ! This bread is super delizioso !

Finla said...

I love cakes like this. it is ages ago i made something like this. yummy with a cupp of tea/coffee

Chele said...

Hope you feel better soon Hun - I'm sure a bit of this slice with a cuppa would be just the tonic.

Brownieville Girl said...

Looks fantastic - must give it a try.

Wow you have been busy - time to give yourself a well deserved rest! Hope you feel better soon.

Heather said...

A lovely loaf cake! I'm going to make some loaf cakes (preferably from your blog) for work as they are easy to commute with and the guys will enjoy them.

Anonymous said...

I was disappointed with this cake. I expected it to be bursting with flavour but found it a little bland. Not a keeper. I enjoy your blog, though. :o)