Thursday 9 September 2010

September Plum Cake

September is plum season here in the UK and I was totally inspired to make the Plum Cake from Lotte’s Country Kitchen cookbook when my good friend/neighbour gave me some home-grown plums. I’ve never baked with plums, shocking right? But there’s a first time for everything. This cake was everything I imagined it would be and more, wonderfully moist, juicy, fluffy, full of flavour and totally scrummy. Hubby arrived back from Dubai on Monday and must have missed my baked goodies, there isn’t a crumb left! We are off to the lodge tomorrow for the weekend and I’ve been busy baking Mincemeat Buns and a Chocolate Banana Bread to bring. Have a lovely weekend everyone and see you soon. x

September Plum Cake

Makes one 23cm/9 inch cake

Ingredients
butter, for greasing
8 plums, halved and stoned
225g/8oz butter, softened
225g/8oz soft light brown sugar
grated zest of ½ orange
4 large eggs
175g/6oz self-raising flour, sieved
½ tsp baking powder
50g/2oz ground almonds

Preheat the oven to 180oC/fan oven 160oC/gas mark 4.

Grease the line a 23cm/9 inch springform cake tin.

Place the plum halved, skin side down, on the bottom of the prepared cake tin.

Cream the butter, sugar and orange zest together in a medium mixing bowl, using a wooden spoon or free-standing mixer, until pale and fluffy.

Beat the eggs into the creamed mixture, one at a time. Add 1 tsp of flour to the mixture between each addition. This is quite a runny cake mixture so don’t worry. It might even look a bit curdled, but it’s absolutely fine. The large eggs make for a lovely moist eggy cake that tastes delicious.

Using a metal spoon, fold in the rest of the flour, the baking powder and the ground almonds and pour the mixture over the plums in the cake tin.

Spread the mixture evenly in the tin with the back of a metal spoon and bake for 30 minutes. Then remove, cover loosely with foil and continue to cook for another 30 minutes.

Remove the cake from the oven and leave it to cool for 5 minutes in the tin and then turn it out onto a wire rack.

17 comments:

Katiecakes said...

Have a fab time at the Lodge Maria! I'm so jealous!!

That cake looks lovely. I adore the pink hue the plums give.

Katie xox

Abitofafoodie said...

Oooh - this looks so good. I've just moved house and have a tree laden with plums and have been wondering what to make. This certainly gives me inspiration!

Kate said...

oh yay! Maria this looks great! It looks like a such a different kind of cake. I've actually never seen one before...or made one!
This looks so yummy and moist, i could just eat it with a cup of tea!
Have a great weekend!

Chele said...

Plums don't usually last long enough for me to bake with them but I think I will make myself try this recipe ;0)
Have a great weekend.

Gloria Baker said...

María! I love plums and this plums cake look heavenly! I love it! huggs, gloria

cocoa and coconut said...

Those plums give off a really pretty colour to your cake!

Maggie said...

I love plums they are such a versatile fruit. The cake looks wonderful.

Lucie said...

This looks such a great cake - so moist. Have a lovely weekend. Lucie x

busygran said...

This looks good for afternoon tea! Don't mind trying cos I have some plums in the fridge.

The Caked Crusader said...

I love anything with plums and this looks a beauty. I have gone through Lotte's book and tabbed lots of lovely looking recipes!

My Taste Heaven said...

looks very very good!!

Caroline said...

That looks really good Maria - the cake looks really light and fluffy! I really like cooked plums - hopefully this cake will have converted you to the joys of baking with them!

Hope you have a lovely weekend away!

Beth (jamandcream) said...

Looks so moist! I have some plums in my fruitbowl - might give it a try this weekend

Unknown said...

Looks gorgeous! Do you have an email address I can send some info about Cupcake Camp London?

Laura said...

I just happened on your blog and love it!! I am so taunted by your lovely recipes and photos. I will be back to read more soon!
Laura

Shaheen said...

Oh your plum cake is just so beautiful withe that pink hue coming through.

Anna said...

Our plum trees are laden and I have just made this cake using a mixture of both yellow and red plums. The cake was so easy to make and looks really pretty. Delicious!