Monday 27 September 2010

Prawn Curry


Last week I received an email from the lovely people at
Total Greek Yoghurt asking if I would like to receive a sample of different variants of Total Greek Yoghurt. Having seen other bloggers that have also been selected to trial the range I immediately sent an email back saying YES! I received my huge delivery from Ocado this morning and my fridge is now bursting with small and big pots of natural Greek yoghurt, 0%, 2% and natural ones with honey.

I couldn’t wait to put my yoghurt to use and decided on this Prawn Curry that I have adapted in order to incorporate the 0% Total Greek yoghurt, which also made it low fat to suit my needs. This curry is mild, creamy and has a hint of mango sweetness from the chutney. A thoroughly enjoyable experience, although I will probably add a stronger curry powder next time as I only had mild. Watch this space for more recipes incorporating yogurt.

Prawn Curry

Serves 2

Ingredients
225g king prawns, rinsed
2 small onions, finely chopped
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp curry powder
1 tbsp plain flour
300ml chicken stock or fish stock
1 tsp tomato puree
1 tbsp mango chutney
½ lemon, juice only
3 tbsp 0% Total Greek Yoghurt

Fry half the onion in a little vegetable oil over a low heat for 2-3 minutes until transparent.

Stir in the curry powder and fry gently for 1 minute.

Blend in the flour and cook for 2-3 minutes more.

Gradually add the stock and stir until the sauce thickens and comes to the boil (3-5 minutes).

Add the tomato purée, chutney and lemon juice. Simmer for 5 minutes, then strain the sauce through a sieve.

Heat the other tbsp of oil in a frying pan and fry the remaining onion until soft, then add the prawns.

Blend in the curry sauce and bring to the boil.

Stir in the 0% Total Greek Yoghurt and remove from the heat.

Arrange the prawns in the sauce on top of boiled rice and serve with naan or poppadums.

9 comments:

Lucie said...

Oh delish - lucky you! Check out my tikka skewers recipe I did a while ago- they are low fat, delish and use yoghurt. Hugs xx

Vicky said...

I love Total Greek Yogurt and use it to make lots of low fat meals. Prawn curry is something I always order from my local Chinese restaurant, this would be so much kinder to the waistline. I love the idea of putting mango chutney in it too! Vicky xxx

Heather said...

Oh, very nice! I haven't had prawns in a while; now I'm tempted to go to the fishmonger in my neighboring neighborhood and get some.

Petit Filoux said...

I love prawns and I love curry, so this is a winner! Ooh I want to be picked to be sent free yogurt too!

Chronicles of Dolliedaydream said...

Yuuum Maria - how exciting to be asked to create some recipes - that's great! My hubbie is on a low carbs diet at the moment and also doesn't eat meat so this is a great idea. I'm going to try this tonight (minus the rice for Chris):-)

Victoria said...

Sometimes, I cook chicken curry, but I never tried with prawns. I love the idea! This match is definitely a winner with greek yoghurt!

cocoa and coconut said...

Maria! This looks FANTASTIC. The whole meal looks like you could serve it somewhere, that sauce just looks to die for. Yum yum yum is all I can say

Helen said...

Just made this for tea and it was yummy! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Unknown said...

Hi! I love curry! The very first time I ever had it was when my family was visiting London, England! I was 13yrs old. I have never stopped eating curry. In fact, I can't get enough!!! You mentioned buying a stronger curry powder next time. Could you recommend some awesome curry powders that I could try? Also, could you recommend who I can buy it from in England? I remember the prawn curry I had was a very light tan color. Have never found it again : ( Thanks for posting your beautiful recipe. I will try it in the new future. I made prawn curry tonight : )