Wednesday 15 October 2008

Carrot Cake

Who can resist a slice of moist carrot cake? Does it lure you in? Well I for one can’t resist and it definitely lures me in. I love carrot cake and if topped with a cream cheese icing then it’s all over for me!! I watched Rachel Allen making this carrot cake on TV last week from her new series Bake that accompanies her new book Bake. Did I mention how great this book is?! Well the series is great too; you get to watch her make recipes from the book, which I love. There are probably hundreds of recipes for carrot cake but personally a good carrot cake recipe is packed with carrots, spice, nuts, raisins and not forgetting the cream cheese icing. This recipe without doubt delivers all this, the cake is delectable and a carrot cake lover’s dream!

Carrot Cake

Serves 12

Ingredients
2 eggs
140ml (5fl oz) vegetable oil
200g (7oz) soft light brown sugar
300g (11oz) grated carrot (weight when grated)
100g (3 ½ oz) raisins
75g (3oz) pecans or walnuts, chopped (optional)
180g (6 ½ oz) self-raising flour
Pinch of salt
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
½ tsp mixed spice

For the orange cream cheese icing
250g (9oz) cream cheese (straight from the fridge)
50g (2oz) butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla extract
275g (10oz) icing sugar, sifted
Finely grated zest of 1 orange
Sugar flowers or sprinkles (optional)

13 x 23cm (5x9in) loaf tin

Preheat the oven to 150oC (300oF), Gas mark 2. Oil and line the loaf tin with greaseproof paper. Beat the eggs in a large bowl, then add the oil, brown sugar, grated carrot, raisins and chopped nuts. Sift in the dry ingredients and bring the mixture together using a wooden spoon or large metal spoon. Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf tin, smooth the surface and bake in the oven for 1-1 ¼ hours or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Allow to cool in the tin for about 5 minutes before removing. Cool completely on a wire rack before serving.

To make the icing, beat the cream cheese and butter together in a bowl until combined. Add the vanilla extract, icing sugar and finely grated orange zest and mix to combine. The icing sugar should be smooth and quite thick. Using a palette knife, spread the icing evenly over the cooled cake, dipping the knife into a bowl of hot water if the icing is hard to spread out. Cut into slices to serve.



Edit: Just had to add this pic of Ollie, seems he also loves Rachel Allen's new book Bake! ;o)

22 comments:

Beth (jamandcream) said...

I saw her make this and thought I have to make it!! Loving the little flowers - did you make them yourself?

Maria♥ said...

Hi Beth ;o)

I didn't make the flowers, gosh I wish but unfortunately I don't have the patience for that. I bought them online from: http://www.cakescookiesandcraftsshop.co.uk/

You definitely have to make this cake!!

Maria
x

Maria said...

Oh wow, your cake is gorgeous! I love the little flowers on top. So creative!

Finla said...

I have never made a carrot cake, even though have heard they are delicious.
This looks so yumm.

Anna's kitchen table said...

What a pretty cake!
I'm really enjoying Rachel's new programme - she seems to have got lots more confidence in front of the cameras.

Oh my! Apple pie! said...

Gorgeous cake Maria, it looks super moist.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely gorgeous. I love the flowers too, I may have to order some.

Ivy said...

I love carrot cakes and I haven't made one for such a long time. The decoration is lovely.

Bea Roque said...

Me encanta el carrot cake....y estoy especializándome en el cream cheese frosting...y solo le has puesto 50 gr de mantequuilla...me encanta la idea!!! Besos. B

Reeni said...

Your carrot cake looks so good. Who can resist cream cheese frosting? I love the little flowers, so cute!!

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

Love the little flowers on this great cake!

Kelly-Jane said...

It looks gorgeous! This one is on my list soon. Ollie is such a little cutie, maybe he thought your books ribbon was a mouse tail :)

Maria♥ said...

Thanks Maria ;o)

Happy Cook you must make a carrot cake soon, you will love it!

Anna, thanks sweetie and I agree that Rachel seems more confident in her new series.

Erica, thanks!

George thanks, and you must order some of these sweet flowers.

Thanks Ivy ;o)

Bea, gracias. Besos x

Reeni cream cheese frosting is my down fall!! Thanks for the comment.

Lisa, thanks sweetie.

Kelly, thanks. You know Ollie well, he was after the satin blue ribbon ;o)

Maria
x

Rosie said...

Hi Maria your carrot cake looks stunning with those gorgeous flowers! I watched Rachel Allen make this on T.V. the other night:)

Rosie x

Rhyleysgranny said...

That cake looks just fabulous. I love the little flowers. Cookie cat looks so sweet:)
xxx

Maria♥ said...

Rosie and Granny, thanks ;o)

Maria
x

Tina Butler said...

The carrot cake looks so good. And the kitty is precious. You did a great job decorating the carrot cake its so pretty.

Yvonne Randall said...

Great cake and I love Rachel's new book. Baking books are always the best.

Anonymous said...

just came across your blog, it's great! i love this cake but my cream cheese icing always comes out too runny. yours looks just right. what am i doing wrong?? any advice would be appreciated! bella

Anonymous said...

cute cat, just saw the carrot cake on tv and think I will have to give this a go myself!

Mukta said...

WILL BE TRYING THIS. DO VISIT MY BLOG
http://bake-a-mania.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

hi.
can i replace oil with butter?