Tuesday 7 October 2008

Rocky Road Crunch Bars

I was watching a recent episode of Nigella Express and watched Nigella making this simple and very tasty recipe for Rocky Road Crunch Bars. I can’t believe I’ve never made this classic combo before today and it’s one of those popular bars that most of us remember from our childhood. These bars are an indulgent chocolate treat and packed with yummy ingredients. I used white and pink marshmallows, only because I love pink and I thought the pink studded through the bars makes it look pretty! Be warned these bars are rich and sweet but no kid or adult would be able to refuse a slice of this sinful piece of sheer pleasure.

Rocky Road Crunch Bars

Ingredients
125g/4½oz soft unsalted butter
300g/10½oz best-quality dark chocolate, broken into pieces
3 tbsp golden syrup
200g/7¼oz rich tea biscuits
100g/3½oz mini marshmallows
2 tsp icing sugar, to dust

Method
Heat the butter, chocolate and golden syrup in a heavy-based saucepan over a gentle heat. Remove from the heat, scoop out about 125ml/4½fl oz of the melted mixture and set aside in a bowl.
Place the biscuits into a plastic freezer bag and crush them with a rolling pin until some have turned to crumbs but there are still pieces of biscuit remaining.
Fold the biscuit pieces and crumbs into the melted chocolate mixture in the saucepan, then add the marshmallows.
Tip the mixture into a 24cm/9in square baking tin and smooth the top with a wet spatula.Pour over the reserved 125ml/4½fl oz of the melted chocolate mixture and smooth the top with a wet spatula.
Refrigerate for about two hours or overnight.
To serve, cut into 24 fingers and dust with icing sugar.


8 comments:

Rosie said...

Your rocky road bars look gorgeous Maria and I adore the pink marshmallows running through - another great bake from "The Goddess's Kitchen"...

Rosie x

The Blonde Duck said...

Those look so cute! I love the pink marshmellows!

Beth (jamandcream) said...

I love rocky road bars. I think there's a similar recipe in Nigella Christmas?? or am I thinking of another book? In any case I couldn't resist one of these

Hayley said...

Urgh you're making me feel so bad now! I've been meaning to make these since the first time I saw these on Nigella Express (like a year ago?!) and I still haven't made them! I think it's cos I always eat the marshmallows before I can cook with them...

Nickki said...

Your rocky road looks fabulous Maria! I also made this a few days ago, it didn't last very long at all :)

Reeni said...

Those look really good, love the pink marshmallows! They would be cute for valentine's day!

Maria♥ said...

Rosie you know me, I love my pink! Thanks for the lovely comment ;o)

Beth, there is a similar recipe for Rocky Road in Nigella Christmas.

Hayley you need to get on the case and make them..hehehe..they were a big hit with my son, his friend and girlfriend and not to mention hubby. There is only 1 small slice left!

Thanks to everyone who left a comment ;o)

Maria
x

Nic said...

I keep meaning to make these too, looks delish.
PS. Your kitty is sooo cute!