Thursday 9 October 2008

Glittery Marshmallow Cripsy Squares

Last year I was really excited when Nigella Express hit the stores but upon receiving my copy I was so disappointed, it wasn’t the Nigella I was accustomed with. I haven’t cooked or baked much from the book, a first for me cos I have enjoyed and love all her other books, including the new Nigella Christmas! But I was determined to get my head around this new style of writing and recipes and took the book down from the shelf last week and I am happy to report that it’s growing on me. Earlier in the week I made the Rocky Road Crunch Bars which were a huge hit and were gone in less than 24hrs, so we are getting off to a good start. One of the recipes which really caught my eye was these Marshmallow Crispy Squares, must be the glitter cos I LOVE glitter and sparkle, oh yes and pink! I’m a true girly girl and these squares are just too cute, they would be a huge hit with girls of all ages. My boys will enjoy these too; anything that tastes sweet, buttery and crispy will get their vote (even if they don’t look too macho with glitter all over their mouths...hahaha, gosh I need a laugh today and I am looking forward to this later on).

Marshmallow Crispy Squares

45g butter
300g mini marshmallows
180g Rice Krispies
Edible glitter or sprinkles (optional)

Melt the butter in a large, heavy-based saucepan over a low heat.

Add the marshmallows and cook gently until they are completely melted and blended, stirring constantly.

Take the pan off the heat and immediately add the cereal, mixing lightly until well coated.

Press the mixture into a greased 32cm x 23cm tin; you may have to put on vinyl CSI gloves and press it down into the corners, as it will be very sticky. Flatten the top and then scatter over the edible glitter or sprinkles, if so inclined.

Let the marshmallow crispy squares cool completely in the tin and then cut them into 24 squares.

16 comments:

Anna's kitchen table said...

Maria, please please do persevere with 'Express'. I hated it when it came out! I really did, but now I adore it, it's such a clever book full of healthy good food (well most of it anyway)
and more importantly it's QUICK food too, when you just don't have enough time...I've made almost 100 recipes from it now, it's almost caught FEAST up!!
xx

Rosie said...

Hi Maria, as you know I have felt quite the same as you with N.E. when it came out, but having the lovely you to encourage me to look through this book again I am now see it in a different light.

Love the glittery marshmallow squares don't they look pretty :D

Rosie x

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

I am sure these will not last long either! Very tempting :)

Ivy said...

Pink and glitter. They sound great.

Finla said...

I don't have this book so can't comment on it.
But i love this squares. I am going to make them next week.
Every tuesday my daughter and her best friend wome home after school. Both of them will be in her room ( i give them cookies and chocolate milk or juice) and singing and talking etc....
I will make this for them as i know both of them will love it.

Beth (jamandcream) said...

I was exactly the same. I think Ive only cooked 2 recipes from it. However, I did spy these and have bookmarked to make at Christmas - my gold sugar sparkle arrived today

Coby said...

Having three little ones, I can tell you, I was a fan from the get-go, better to cook 'express' than some other unmentionable way;) Though I agree it is Nigella's wonderful way with words that makes her books even more special and that is missing. I must get me some pretty glitter, as these are delicious, but sparklying (??) them up takes them to another place:)

Nickki said...

Lol, Maria I bet that gave you a giggle :)I made these marshmallow squares last christmas, and they lasted all of 5 minutes between my kids and husband! I must try and get some of that edible glitter, it's gorgeous :)

I'm so glad NE is slowly growing on you. I loved it from the start although I do agree it lacks the personal writing style we've all grown to love from Nigella's previous books. I've made about 50 recipes from it so far and I make many of them on a regular basis :)

Hayley said...

LOVE the glitter, these are so cute! Can't believe you don't like Nigella Express, it has to be one of my favourites : (

Maria♥ said...

Thanks everyone for the comments.

Anna I am perservering and its growing on me ;o)

Rosie I know you felt the same way as me with this book but glad we've both decided to give Nigella another chance ;o)

Beth, happy to hear that you also felt the same way about this book. Infact many people did, so were definitely not alone.

Hayley I am liking the book more now than when I first bought it but it won't ever be one of my favs by Nigella!

Maria
x

Nic said...

I really like edible glitter - they look so pretty!

Kelly-Jane said...

I like Express too, it's a different kind of Nigella book, but it has a place in my kitchen for sure.

I made these last year a few times with magenta glitter, I'm totally with you I loved that glitter!

Looking gorgeous!

Anna said...

It's been so long since I had marshmallow crispies! Now I'm craving them, haha. Also loving the glitter!

Half Baked said...

Love the glittery marshmallow squares! Cute and tasty:)

Maria said...

Love the bling on these:) So pretty!

Deborah said...

I need to get some of that glitter! How fun!!!