Saturday 4 October 2008

Sticky Pear and Caramel Cake

I spotted this cake in my autumn edition of Woman & Home Feel Good Food magazine that I picked up at Sainsbury’s last night (thanks Rosie for the heads up)! I knew I had to make it today, as I had some pears going ripe in the fruit bowl and I hate seeing food go to waste. This was quick and easy to make and is a lovely, moist cake with a luscious pear and caramel combination. You can serve it with either crème fraîche, cream or custard.


Sticky Pear and Caramel Cake

Serves 10

Ingredients
325g (11oz) caster sugar
4 pears, peeled, quartered, cored and sliced
175g (6oz) self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
125g (4½oz) butter, melted
2 free-range eggs
50ml (2fl oz) semi-skimmed milk
1 tsp vanilla extract

20cm (8in) loose-bottomed round cake tin, lined with baking parchment to come slightly up the sides.

Preheat the oven to 180oC, 160oC fan, 350oF, gas 4. Put 150g (5oz) sugar in a heavy-based saucepan and add 3 tablespoons of water. Dissolve the sugar over a gentle heat, then turn up the heat and boil until the sugar turns a rich amber colour. Swirl the pan to redistribute the heat evenly, but do not stir. Pour the caramel into the base of the prepared tin, allow to cool, then arrange the pear slices in a circular pattern on top.

Sift the flour and baking powder together. Add the remaining sugar, and stir until well-blended. Add the melted butter, eggs, milk and vanilla, then mix at high speed for 1 minute to form a smooth batter. Pour over the pears and bake for 40 minutes to 1 hour, or until the cake springs back when pressed in the centre. Allow to cool for 10 minutes in the tin, then invert on a wire rack and serve still warm.

10 comments:

Beth (jamandcream) said...

This looks lovely and moist. I don't bake with pears very often but I eat them all the time so perhaps I'll have to try this one.

Ivy said...

It looks delicious. I have some pears at home waiting to be used.

MrsB said...

It looks really delicious and the sponge looks so light I bet it melts in the mouth!

Nickki said...

That looks absolutely delicious Maria, I do love pears I'll have to give this recipe a try :)

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

That looks divine Maria! I am jealous of everyone who got a slice :(

Coby said...

Now you're talking my language Maria:) That just looks tooooo good:D

Rosie said...

Yeah you got the mag maria :) This cake also took my eye to bake when just waiting for the pears on my tree to be picked. Loos wonderful sweetie :)

Rosie x

Maria♥ said...

This cake was a big hit and we all enjoyed it with custard!

Thanks for all your lovely comments.

Maria
x

Tannya said...

Wow, this looks amazing. I am definitely going to have to try it out. I love the fall season and all its bounty. Thanks for sharing your talent for cooking.

Phoebe said...

such a great-looking cake!