Wednesday 8 October 2008

The Ultimate Autumn Cheesecake!

I spotted this amazing cheesecake recipe in last month’s Sainsbury’s magazine and knew I had to make this pronto! I don’t normally make big desserts during the week but this weekend I will be busy baking my Christmas cake, puddings and mincemeat and won’t have time to bake anything elaborate. Plus this recipe was calling out to me! This cheesecake is heavenly with the pairing of apples and cinnamon and all those wonderful flavours of autumn. The filling is a decadent, light and airy consistency and not heavy like your average cheesecake, giving this a unique texture. It would make the perfect dessert for Thanksgiving or anytime during these autumn and winter months!

Pink Lady Cheesecake

Serves 8

Ingredients
12 digestive biscuits, crushed
85g (3oz) butter, melted
500g (1lb 2oz) cream cheese
100ml (3 ½ fl oz) double cream
2 large eggs, plus 2 egg yolks
3 tablespoons caster sugar (I would definitely suggest adding more sugar. It wasn't sweet enough with 3 tbsp of sugar.)
½ teaspoon cinnamon
2 Pink Lady apples, cubed
3 Pink Lady apples, for garnish, sliced
1 tablespoon butter, melted

Preheat the oven to 150oC, 130oC fan, gas 2. Mix the biscuits and butter and press into a 20cm (8in) cake tin. Bake for 10 minutes, remove from the oven and cool. Put the cream cheese, cream, eggs, sugar and cinnamon into a bowl and beat until smooth. Pour a third of the mixture into the tin and add the cubed apple. Pour over remaining mixture and bake for 30-40 minutes (I had to bake mine for 60 mins) until set. Remove from the oven and cool. Brush apple slices with butter and grill for one minute each side. Place on top of the cake.

12 comments:

Oh my! Apple pie! said...

Maria this one is in my pile of 'must bakes' after I tore it out of last months mag.
Yours looks delicious.

Maria said...

Ultimate is right! The cheesecake is screaming autumn!

Rosie said...

Oh my goodness Maria this sure is one very decadent cheesecake! I love all the autumn flavours here and I know Mr R would love this ;)

Beautiful photos Maria :)

Rosie x

Finla said...

Looks like I have missed frw of your delicious post. Just scrolled throught it and they looks delicious as always.
I love cheese cakes, but have to admit i have never made them at home

Laura Paterson said...

Wow - what a beautiful cheesecake! One of my favourite puds - though I've never tried it with apple. That'll teach for forgetting to pick up a sainsburies mag last week ;)

Beth (jamandcream) said...

If its got cheesecake in the title Im sold. BTW what mincemeat recipe are you using. I can't decide whether to use the one in Nigella book or Rachel Allens recipe?

The Blonde Duck said...

That looks fabulous!

Reeni said...

It looks wonderful, love the apples and cinnamon!

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

I have never had apple cheesecake but now I really want some.

Maria♥ said...

Thanks everyone for the lovely comments!

Beth, I make Delia's mincemeat recipe, have used her recipe for years! Nigella's cranberry mincemeat has caught my eye and I'm thinking of making that too.

Maria
x

Tina Butler said...

That turned out so pretty and it looks so yummy. Great Job.

Maggie said...

I too was drawn towards this pretty cheesecake.
It looks fabulous Maria.