Monday 15 February 2010

Cheese, Onion and Potato Pie

This Cheese, Onion and Potato Pie (more of a bake, than pie but that’s the name of the recipe) is pure comfort food with its gooey, cheesy and creamy mash. The recipe is one from Jo Pratt’s In the Mood for Food and uses ingredients most of us will have to hand, making this the perfect recipe for a quick, easy and scrumptious weekday meal.

Cheese, Onion and Potato Pie
Serves 2 generously

Ingredients
750g potatoes, peeled and quartered
40g butter
1 large onion, thinly sliced
100ml milk
200g mature Cheddar, Double Gloucester or Red Leicester cheese, grated (I used cheddar)
1 tsp wholegrain or English mustard
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
2-3 tomatoes, sliced

Preheat the oven to 200oC/fan 180oC/gas 6. Cook the potatoes in boiling salted water for 15 to 20 minutes until tender.

While the potatoes are cooking, melt the butter in a pan and gently sauté the onion until lightly golden and sweet. This will take about 10mins. Add the milk to the pan and heat until almost boiling.

Drain the potatoes and return to the pan. Mash really well with a potato masher, and then beat in the milk and onion, three-quarters of the cheese, the mustard and some seasoning.

Transfer to a buttered oven proof dish, scatter over the remaining cheese and lay the tomato slices on top and season again if you wish.

Bake for 20 to 25 mins until the top is bubbling and lightly golden.

21 comments:

Petit Filoux said...

That's my kind of dinner! yum!

Lucie said...

This is delicious comfort food Maria. We have had cheese and potato pie tonight too! But my rush job did not look anywhere near as lovely as this! Lucie xx

Chele said...

Mmmmmm - I've often flicked through Jo's book and admired this recipe. One day I wil need to make it. Loks great!

Beth (jamandcream) said...

I love that book. Should cook from it more often - but I have so many I often forget that I have it

Simplyfood said...

This looks so comforting and delicious.

Pity said...

what a lovely pie, cant wait to try this, well done! cheers

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

My mum just asked me the other day why I don't ever make cheese and potato pie and I just didn't have a good answer for her. It is comfort food at it's best and reminds me of my mum looking after me :)

The Girl said...

Brilliant! That's Wednesday's dinner sorted out then :)

Shaheen said...

OOoh Maria,
That looks so delicious. I have this book and don't think I have cooked from it yet, you have given me a reason to now. Thank you.

Nickki said...

This looks like pure comfort food! Pass me a plate please :-) x

Anonymous said...

I'm in the process of making this now and I will let you know my thoughts when done...Claire

Anonymous said...

This is really easy to make, I put my own twist to it, couple tblsp's of creme fresh and chopped chives in the mash, with lots of garlic and mixed it together with my onion mixture, all ready to go in the oven...can't wait .. Claire ...

Rhyme said...

Ooo I love the garlic suggestion, I think I'll try that tonight. Yum!

Nick said...

I just tried this and it was amazing!

Rach said...

Mine's just gone in the oven!!! Had to use horse radish instead of mustard and have added chives too. Can't wait to eat it! Thanks for the recipe.

Manics1984 said...

Thanks for the tip on sauteeing the onions in butter as I've had problems getting a smooth enough mash when boiling them along with the potatoes

Anonymous said...

before adding the onion garlic milk and butter blend these first really creamy mash and not a hint if lumps

Anonymous said...

I'm trying this tonight. will let you know how i get on.:-)

Ghoon said...

I tried the cheese,onion and potato pie today and my grand-daughter loved it.She said it was really yummy.

Ghoon said...

I tried the cheese,onion and potato pie today and my grand-daughter loved it.She said it was really yummy.

Anonymous said...

Delicious great meal if your short on pennies thanks