Friday 19 February 2010

Coconut Cookies

My hubby has another badminton match tonight and guess who was nominated to provide some baked goodies? You guessed it, me again, not that I’m complaining because I love it. I was going to bake a Lemon Drizzle Cake but someone else is making a large cake already. So I decided to bake these Coconut Cookies which will no doubt put a smile on the men’s faces (don’t ask but you can imagine what the hubby said these resemble)! These moreish cookies are just delicious and have a macaroon taste and feel to them, with the coconut delivering a chewy consistency.

Coconut Cookies

Makes about 20

Ingredients
100g butter, softened
100g caster sugar
1 large egg
100g plain flour
¼ tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
100g dessicated coconut
Glace cherries for decoration, cut in half

Pre-heat the oven to 180oC/fan 160oC/gas 4. Line two baking sheets with baking parchment paper.

In a mixer, cream the sugar and butter together until pale and fluffy. Add the egg and mix well. Then sift in the flour, baking powder, salt and add the coconut and mix well.

Roll out the dough into walnut size pieces and place on baking tray and flatten slightly. Place half a cherry on top of each biscuit and transfer to oven and bake for 10-15 minutes.

Then transfer to a wire rack to cool.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Wifey,
You have yet again out-done yourself. Just a shame they have to survive until I get to the club else I think they would have been finished already.
I probably dont tell you often enough how much I appreciate all you do for me.
Love you lots
Hubby
xx

Simplyfood said...

Looks delicious.

Snooky doodle said...

These look nice and yummy Am I blind? but I m not seeing any coconut in these cookies.

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

Men, pah! They do look good, for totally different reasons :)

Maria♥ said...

Snooky your not blind, I had totally missed out the coconut in the ingredients list but have corrected it now.

Thanks everyone for the lovely comments!

Maria
x

Maggie said...

I really like coconut cookies, it brings out the inner child in me Maria!!!

Heather said...

I must give these a try. They look really good.

Chele said...

I haven't seen coconut cookies since I was a kid! What a blast from the past ;0)

arista said...

I can't possibly imagine what those delicious-looking cookies resemble ;o)

Lucie said...

These are such sweet cookies. I am going to join that badminton club! hee hee. Lucie x

Nickki said...

They look so good Maria, these actually take me right back to my childhood because I remember my gran making cookies very similar to these. I've never made them but I'm going to have to for old times sake!

It's so lovely to see you blogging again, I've missed reading all about the gorgeous bakes you've made :-)

Anonymous said...

Hope you don't mind, but I've veganised your recipe - the vegan version can be found here - http://veganfoody.wordpress.com/2010/10/19/coconut-biscuits/
I've linked it back to your original recipe, which is fab :o)

Anonymous said...

mmmmmm, the cookies were delicous. i Just made them with Gluten Free flower. They were great. thank you for the recipie!!

Anonymous said...

hey marie i LOVE cooking and i am a teenager but i havent had coconut cookies since i was well young thank you for the recipe

Amanda Keeys said...

I love this recipe! I've made these cookies a bunch of times (minus the cherries) and they are always a huge hit with my kids. I make a double batch for my fam and they turn out wonderful every time. Thanks for sharing it!

Claudia B said...

Mmmmm so yummy the real taste test is when my hubby gets in ...... I'll update asap x

Claudia B said...

These are so scrumptious my husband loves them : ) xx

Claudia B said...

These truly are scrumptious my hubby loves them : ) xx