Tuesday 29 April 2008

Afternoon Tea Slices and an Award!


I had a friend stay over at the weekend and she gave me this gorgeous bunch of flowers, my kitchen smells so lovely. I just adore having flowers in my kitchen. Thanks Marja!


I came across these wonderful looking Afternoon Tea Slices at Vi’s Pantry (a forum I belong to), Gail posted the recipe and pics. I immediately was drawn to them and couldn’t wait to try them out. They are a different take on Anzac Biscuits and are absolutely more-ish and one slice just won’t be enough! They are the perfect snack! Thanks Gail for sharing this great recipe.


Afternoon Tea Slices

1 cup rolled oats
1 cup plain flour
1/2 cup caster sugar
3/4 cup desiccated coconut
2 tblsp golden syrup
125g butter
1/2 tsp bicarb of soda
1 tblsp hot water
300g dark chocolate, melted ( I used milk chocolate)

Preheat oven to 160c. Combine oats, flour, sugar and coconut in a bowl. Place golden syrup and butter in a saucepan over low heat and cook until melted. Mix the bicarb with the water, add to golden syrup mixture and stir to combine. Add to oat mixture and mix well. Press the mixture into a lightly greased 20cm x 30cm cake tin lined with baking paper. Bake for 20 mins or until golden. Allow to cool in tin. Pour over the melted chocolate and refrigerate until set. Cut into squares.

Award

Priscilla at A Peek in Priscilla's Kitchen has kindly passed on this "You Make my Day Award" to me. She has a lovely blog and you really need to check out the pics of her beautiful chocolate labrador puppy, Lewis. His just soooo adorable, as is Priscilla for giving me this award. Thank you!

I am going to pass this award to the following:

Rosie at Rosie Bakes a Peace of Cake.
Brenda at Tea and Wheaten Bread.
George at Culinary Travels of a Kitchen Goddess.
Anna at At Anna's Kitchen Table.
Kelly-Jane at Cooking the Books.
Pixie at You Say Tomato, I Say Tomato.

23 comments:

priscilla joy said...

Thanks Maria for putting this up...I am really hungary right now for those bars of yours! They look deelicious!

Pixie said...

I love flowers around the house too. :) Congrats on the award and thanks for thinking of me, very kind of you!

oh and, the bars look and sound sensational; I can't wait to try another batch of tea cakes!

Anonymous said...

Those chocolate 'ANZAC' bars look wonderful, so delicious.

The flowers are so pretty too, wonderful for livening up the kitchen :)

Thank you very much for the award too!

Kelly-Jane said...

Your bars looks so good, I could do with one right now! and thank you very much for the award :)

Anna's kitchen table said...

Oh, those bars look so gorgeous! As soon as I'm back to eating normally, I'm going to be trying those!

Thank you so, so much for the lovely award - it's so kind of you and it's cheered me up no end :-)

xxx

Gayle said...

I wish I hadn't seen those bars, my will power is seriously waning.
Beautiful pictures as always.

Gayle

Ruth Strong said...

What beautiful slices, they look perfect for afternoon tea.

PS I had given you this award a while ago.... did I forget to tell you? Sorry. http://justaddeggs.blogspot.com/2008/03/go-aheadmake-my-day.html

Maria♥ said...

Thanks everyone for the lovely comments.

Ruth yes I got your award, thanks. I have it on the right hand side of my blog ;o)

Maria
x

Ruth Strong said...

Oh I see it now.... must have had my silly head on earlier.

Vicarious Foodie said...

These look really good! I love the idea of afternoon tea and a delicious snack.

Brilynn said...

As soon as I read "they are a different take on Anzac Biscuits" I bookmarked the recipe immediately!

Cakespy said...

I am not sure if there are words for how good these look!!

Rhyleysgranny said...

Those Anzac bars are brilliant. I don't know how you got them to look so perfect. They more than deserve to be on TS. Well done
Thank you for the lovely award :) I am all chuffed
xxx

Nickki said...

They look delicious Maria, I could just eat one (or two! right now! I must give these a try soon. I'm really enjoying reading about all your yummy baking xx

Maria♥ said...

Thanks everyone for the lovely comments and I am so chuffed my slices got on tastespotting ;o)

Brenda the trick is to cut them once they are chilled and out the fridge, this will give you that perfect cut edge look to them!

Maria
x

Anonymous said...

those look perfect! i wish we had afternoon tea here, so i'd have more or an excuse to make things like this. stupid america.

what am i saying? like i've ever needed an excuse to eat chocolate.

Deborah said...

Your slices are just so perfect! These sound delicious.

vonsachsen said...

Wow, these slices look mouthwatering! Very elegant.

Thinking About Food said...

Maria after seeing these on your blog I had to make them! They are really yummy, thanks for inspiring me!

Maria♥ said...

Thanks again to everyone whose left lovely comments. These slices really went down great with my boys. This recipe is a definate keeper!

Maria
x

Rosie said...

What a lovely post Maria! Congrats on the award and thank you also for passing it on to me I am honoured indeed :)

Just love those bars lol I'm going to snag the recipe now ;)

Rosie x

Maria♥ said...

Rosie your very welcome and thanks for dropping by ;o)

Btw you would love these afternoon tea slices!!

Maria
x

Katherine said...

Hi Maria, just letting you know that I have linked to this post (and the blog in general) from my blog, http://ramblingsofastudentwife.blogspot.com/

Btw, I LOVE LOVE LOVE this recipe!