Friday 25 April 2008

American Pecan and Chocolate "Coffee Cake"

I have baked this cake for hubby’s last badminton match of the season, which is this evening. The lady who organises the food for the matches sent an email last week asking if hubby could bring his usual delicious cakes. So I was more than willing to bake and provide the cake again, I love baking and being able to provide home-baked goodness whenever I can. Plus it’s a great excuse to try out new recipes, which is what I did today. I’ve been dying to make this cake after it caught my eye in my new book, Divine Heavenly Chocolate Recipes with a Heart. This American “coffee cake” doesn’t actually contain any coffee but gets its name because it’s traditionally served with coffee. The cake itself is definitely “divine”; the sour cream gives it a wonderful moist texture, with the streusel layers adding an amazing deep flavour of pecan nuts, dark chocolate, cinnamon and muscovado sugar. This cake will be sure to keep happy those tired badminton players after their match. I bet there isn’t a crumb left!!



19 comments:

priscilla joy said...

Wow, that looks good! I'm sure there won't be a crumb left...sounds great for breakfast right now!

Rosie said...

My on my Maria this DOES look amazing!! I really could do with a slice of this now with my cuppa ;) Wonderful bake sweetie

Hugs Rosie x

Nickki said...

Oh my Maria, that looks so good! I bet it won't last long! I MUST get my hands on that Divine book lol :)

Pixie said...

YUM YUM YUM- great photo Maria and GOD does it Looks Scrumptious!

Maria♥ said...

Thanks everyone for dropping by and your lovely comments as always.

Maria
x

Gloria Baker said...

This cake look spectacular, really good.xxGloria

Anonymous said...

Wow that is gorgeous, I could just a chunk of that for breakfast with a latte, delish.

I have the Divine book and will be baking this the first opportunity I get.

Love the shape of the cake too :)

hungryandfrozen said...

Oh yum! I love pecans - and I love the idea of the 'surprise' filling for the cake :)

Unknown said...

oooo Maria, this looks so lush.... you can see it's moistness in the photo...YUM! I like the fact it is called a coffee cake not because of it's ingredient but because of what it should be eaten with....marvelous!!
Loulou x

Kelly-Jane said...

Oh it looks really good, the layer in the middle, mmmmm :) I have this book as well, - must get around to reading it soon!

Emily said...

Well, that looks pretty incredible. I love the middle. You have a talent for baking cakes!

Also...I really, really like playing badmitton. It's so much fun. We used to play every summer.

Maria♥ said...

Thanks everyone for the comments, you all make my day!

hugs
Maria
x

Swati said...

A delicious cake Maria.. It looks so great even from the inside.. Extremely tempting!!

Anna's kitchen table said...

Maria, that looks truly delicious!

priscilla joy said...

Tag Maria! You Make My Day...check my blog for details!

AlasMyDear said...

oh my oh my oh my...my tummy's growling just looking at that picture! and the rest of your delicious looking blog...i think i have to go eat something now!

Vicky said...

I love the look and sound of this cake. It makes me want to break my "not going to bake" vow!
Vicky xxx

Ruth Strong said...

I've never liked coffee as a drink but I love it as an ingredient so I'm sure I'd love this cake! Looks delicious.

Maria♥ said...

Thanks for all the kind comments. You all make my day!

Maria
x