Saturday 23 February 2008

THE Best Carrot Cake

My in laws are coming over tomorrow for Sunday lunch and I was really tempted to make Dell's Buttermilk Lime Cake but as I've made a Lemon Tart for dessert I didn't want to over-do it with the citrus, so I went for what I can only describe as the best carrot cake recipe I've tried so far. I have made this carrot cake many times and it's always gone down a treat, with many compliments. The cream cheese frosting is divine and this is the perfect cake to serve with tea on a Sunday afternoon with the in laws!


Carrot Cake recipe:

4 eggs, lightly beaten
250g caster sugar
185ml sunflower oil
300g plain flour
3/4 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
2 tsp ground cinnamon
400g carrots, peeled and grated
55g chopped walnuts

Cream Cheese Frosting:
180g butter, softened
250g icing sugar
180g cream cheese
3 drops vanilla extract
Walnut halves to decorate (optional)

Preheat oven to 180oC/350oF/Gas4. Grease and flour a 24 cm springform tin or bundt pan. Whisk eggs and sugar until creamy, then whisk in the oil. Sift together flour, salt, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and cinnamon. Add this to the eggs and whisk. Add the carrots and nuts and mix together. Scrape into tin and bake for an hour. Once the cake has cooled; For the icing whip the butter and icing sugar together until its stiff. Beat in the cream cheese and vanilla. Spread over the cake. And decorate with walnut halves.

The recipe is by Tessa Kiros and if you have never come across any of her books then you are missing out. Two of my favorite books by her are Apples for Jam and Falling Cloudberries, they are so beautifully illustrated and full of recipes inspired by her childhood and family.

13 comments:

Maggie said...

Found you through visiting Rosie's blog.
Great foodblog!

Maria♥ said...

Hi Margaret

Welcome and thanks for your comment.

Maria
x

Pixie said...

I adore carrot cake and am always on a hunt for a good recipe. I haven't heard of your mentioned author but will certainly check out her cookbooks. Thanks for sharing.

Rosie said...

Ooooh I just love this carrot cake Maria!! You have really have done this recipe proud it looks gorgeous! :D I agree with you one of the best carrot cake recipes about!!

Must be carrot cake heaven and you've read my mind this weekend after baking one myself *giggle*

Have a great day Sunday with your family :D

Rosie x

Maria♥ said...

Hi Pixie

Thanks for dropping by and you must check this author out, her books are full of beautiful recipes ;o)

Hi Rosie
Thanks for the lovely comments as always, your a sweetie. I've said it before but were both in "baking" tune at times, hehehe. Loved your carrot cake too, a real showstopper ;o)

Maria
x

MrsB said...

Hi Maria, Your carrot cake looks awsesom, It has to be my favourite cake at the moment, Ive seen her cookbooks in Heals and I am jusy dying to buy them especially the new one! Now im even more eager! Enjoy the cake!

Maria♥ said...

Hi Mrs B

Thanks for calling by and leaving a lovely comment. I have seen her new book on amazon but not released till April. I am eager to see if it will be as good as her previous books. You definitely need to get Apples for Jam!

Maria
x

test it comm said...

Looks good! Carrot cake with cream cheese frosting is one of my favorite desserts.

Maria♥ said...

Hi Kevin

Thanks for dropping by and leaving a lovely comment.

Maria
x

Antonella said...

Hi. I would like to buy the book Falling Cloudberries but I'm curious to know if this book has only recipes of cake and cookie. Can you help me?
Thanks.

Maria♥ said...

Hi Cosmopolita

Falling Cloudberries is not just a book on cakes and cookies. It is a personal collection of family recipes from around the world.

Maria
x

Jacqui said...

I have this book, thanks for the heads up on this recipe! Was looking for a way to use up the glut of carrots my organic delivery box - just found it! Made these today, they were great!

Erika said...

I was looking for a carrot cake recipe and found your blog. I've just made cupcakes using this recipe and they turned out delicious and spongy! I'll be posting the result on my blog later and linking back to yours. Thank you for sharing!